The National Poultry Show, UK November 2010

impis

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Hi, All,

I've been to the National Poultry show here in the Uk, today. There were over 5,000 exhibits of birds in almost every shape and size and colour imaginable. I've never seen chooks as large or as tiny as some of those seen today. Some were very skinny, some very broad. Some with short feathers, some with long. Some neat, some fluffy. Bliss!

I took lots of photographs, which you can see online if you want - but please bear in mind that i'm a mere novice and although I did look at the breed names at the time, I'm unlikely to remember most of them. Apologies for the poor quality - they're just taken on a 2G iphone. However, I think you'll get a feel for what was there.

You can view the album of 135 pics here:
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/impis_album/National Poultry show UK 2010/ [copy and paste the address]

My favourite bird was this one:

IMG_0629.jpg

Upping this to take account of the time difference. [I hope i'm allowed]

Here's a couple more that I loved - but I have no idea what they were at all. The problem is that none of the individual cages were labelled with the names of the breed - just numbered - and you had to pay quite alot for a programe which told you what the numbers meant. There were generic name posters at the ends of the aisles, but since the types of birds in each aisle quite often changed partway down, they weren't too helpful either. Anyway, here they are. I've never seen anything like these before - and all I can tell you is that they were on the 'Rare breeds' aisle.

first - the cockerel:

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

And the hen:

IMG_0576.jpg

Pretty, arent' they?! - and full size, not bantams.

I'm a bit sorry that you can't tell the size of the birds on these pics. I had no idea that Orps were so huge and puffed out!!!! I also had no idea that Indian game birds came in little[bantam] and 'bloomin huge!'.

The barnvelder cockerels were ok - but not as nice as mine. [not that i'm biased or anything]. The ducks were incredibly noisy, and the turkeys impressive. [sorry, my battery ran out before I could get pics of those.]

The sale pens were interesting - and the birds very expensive! There appeared to be many sussex for sale - a very well known breeder was dropping production from 500 birds a year down to just 50 so was reducing his stock. These were VERY big birds - and VERY expensive. Offerers were being invited of OVER £60 per pullet, and there were some breeding roosters that had already sold for £75 EACH!

Most sale pens had a trio or pair of birds, which of course included a cockerel. Pity they didn't have any single pullets for sale else I might have been tempted to get one to add to our little tribe.

It was a great experience, though, and I'm glad that I went to have a look. I'm considering taking my animal course students to a poultry sale [which happens weekly, about 15 miles away] to see what that is like. They are older students, so shouldn't be too traumatised by the atmostphere - unlike my grandson who was terrified by the auctioneer's shouting the last time I went. [GS was only 5 at the time, and I should have known better]

Just had to look up 'Houdan' - but have to agree with you - they were fantastic!!

I also loved this silkie as he looked so different from the rest.

IMG_0643.jpg

Back
Top Bottom