The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Yes...just sign up for another account.

The ovation is the little box below the posts with the thumbs up. You can give someone the thumbs up then write a little comment to them (but you don't have to comment - you can just hit the thumbs up if you don't want to write a comment).

That will send an email to the person and tell them you gave them an ovation. If you click on the link in the email, it will take you to a list of ovations you've gotten where you can read the comments and see what post they were giving the thumbs up to.

You can also see your ovations on your profile page... there is a link to go to them from that page.

My nieces and nephews call me Aunt Momo because the couldn't say Mona. When I had chickens before that's what they would say," Want to see Momo's chicks"...lol.

Enough of that. I only got to page 190 in the reading department on this thread and have to say it is addictive. I have laughed, cried , been upset for the losses due to attacks and health issues, and drooled over gorgeous baby chicks , coops and beautiful snow filled landscapes. It is like a best seller you start and just can't put down...lol. I have learned a lot of new stuff and found some old ways are still in use today that I have used before. Just can't say "Thank You" enough for all that you guys impart in big and small ways.

:)

I have some questions....

1) What are some of the advantages you have observed in your chickens since using FF?
Example: weight gain, feather condition , egg production....

2) Have there been any disadvantages from using FF with your chickens?
Example: Too much weight gain, unusual or bad poo....

3) Has using FF increased your budget for feed by adding BOSS and other additives to it than just regular feed?

4) Has the behavior changed in your flock since using FF?

If these questions have been asked already and answered I apologize but I haven't found them yet due to too many post to catch up on. :)

Last edited:
Hi Momo,

I use FF in the summer, it doesn't work for me well in the winter with my work schedule and cold notherrn minnesota weather. I know some who use FF even in the winter with heated dog bowls.

I have never heard anyone say anything but good things about the positive outcomes for the chickens - they seem more eager to eat, feather faster and better, weight gain is fine, eat less....only negative I have heard anyone discuss is that the ff can be messy for the chickens, and some folks seem to be bothered by the smell. The smell is just fine to me - it is not a spoiled smell, more of a fermented smell. Oh yeah, some complain about the mess in their house or garage or wherever they are making the ff.

You need a tiny bit of extra time and space compared to dry feed.

I'm starting my ff up again.

Overall, cost is less even with additions because they are eating less , at least that is my thought. Harder for me to judge since in the summer they also eat less because there is more to forage than in winter.

Thank you lalaland.

I always like first hand knowledge to help weigh my decisions before I jump into something new. I like to know as many pro's and con's about something new so I know what to look out for.

Sounds kinda OCD but that's just how my thought process works.....:)

@Leahs Mom

have you looked at the immunity booster that molly's herbals sells? With minnesota being at what seems to be the center of the avian birdflu outbreak, I'm wondering about using it. would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Back
Top Bottom