The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I have a thought.....

I straw bale garden organic and sometimes the bales sprout wheat so..... Why not just wet down a few I know have seed pods left in them and just let the chicks scratch up a opened bales in the run?

Thoughts anyone??

(Without using organic fertilizers)

Last edited:
very interesting! I think....I think giving the fresh garlic will work just about as well as the garlic tonic.....but I sure am interested in it. I like the idea of some of the other tonics, too, and the tinctures really sound good (expensive but I can understand why).

yep.....I think in your situation @lalalancthat I'd try to give them as much good stuff as I could!

I keep wondering about all these flocks that are getting AI......... mostly turkeys.

pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

-I've wondered if they come from a hatchery and which one? I wish that info was public.

-Most of them have been confined large flocks that are usually given antibiotics routinely. Therefore their immune systems are not strong. Which sounds counter-intuitive, but it actually makes them more susceptible to diseases...) And is this particular strain of AI an anti-biotic resistant strain that was started in the hatcheries and/or "factory farms"? I wish they'd make that info public...

-Even the home flock that got it is a "large" home flock... Is it a confined flock that's over-crowded and kept indoors? Was it a flock that was outdoors on green grass or ground that wasn't an impacted, unhealthy breeding ground for disease? I wish they'd make that info. public.

I have a thought.....

I straw bale garden organic and sometimes the bales sprout wheat so..... Why not just wet down a few I know have seed pods left in them and just let the chicks scratch up a opened bales in the run?

Thoughts anyone??

I know my birds attack straw or hay bales (but especially hay) when they get a chance to scratch through them!

I have a thought.....

Thoughts anyone??

as long as you are very careful about the bales not molding.

yep.....I think in your situation @lalalancthat I'd try to give them as much good stuff as I could!

I keep wondering about all these flocks that are getting AI......... mostly turkeys.

-I've wondered if they come from a hatchery and which one? I wish that info was public.

-Most of them have been confined large flocks that are usually given antibiotics routinely. Therefore their immune systems are not strong. Which sounds counter-intuitive, but it actually makes them more susceptible to diseases...) And is this particular strain of AI an anti-biotic resistant strain that was started in the hatcheries and/or "factory farms"? I wish they'd make that info public...

-Even the home flock that got it is a "large" home flock... Is it a confined flock that's over-crowded and kept indoors? Was it a flock that was outdoors on green grass or ground that wasn't an impacted, unhealthy breeding ground for disease? I wish they'd make that info. public.

I am doubtful that the hatcheries sell to the "public" because of the incredible number of birds in these confined barns.

I will see if my contact can find out about the antibiotic stuff...its a good question! I won't be able to ask til the work week starts, though.

as long as you are very careful about the bales not molding.  

I'll sleep on this and start thinking of a way to assure it doesn't. I got to get the feed situation dealt with tomorrow and then start the bale project.

I have 22 chicks, about how much FF should I need to start with? Should I start with a gallon of feed? It will swell up to about a gallon and a half when wet I think. That should be enough to have left over to add to I think .
I don't measure the dry , just make sure they have clean dry feed available all day.

Now a bed time story......

Last night the power went out again
(has done it off and on for a week) for about 2 hours so no heat lamp for the 2 week olds. Tonight I hear all this commotion going on out on the porch and go see what's up. NOTHING , they have feed , fresh water, and a new grass plug from the yard. Talk to them a minute then go back in. Not 10 minutes later they are nuts again. I do the same thing and talk to them till they calm down. Third time it happens I turn the light out and go back inside.

Right at this moment it has been 1 hour and they are sound asleep... :(
I have outside chicks afraid of the dark and porch chicks who don't like the light on. Life ain't it a mystery. ..lol.

Back
Top Bottom