The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

So what are some things that can cause a chicken to sneeze?  I have healthy birds and I sell them.  So far I have one guy who bought birds last year and again this year.  Each time he has called back to say his birds are sneezing.  But my birds are not sneezing or sick.  I've had the full grown chickens' eggs tested by a state program and all came back clean.

I'm thinking there must be something specific to his place that is causing the sneezing.  I need to call him back on Monday.    Any ideas, maybe mold somewhere?

My birds have tree trimming bedding that is about 1/2 pine trees, leftover goat hay, then my yard for the days they get to free range.  I don't have straw on the property but we did give grass trimmings to the chickens a few weeks back and they loved those.  And every so often a chicken will find some spilled goat food but for the most part the chickens get grain mill chicken food.

I'd ask him to try VetRX it's all natural and when mine sneeze occasionally or during winter cold season it knocks it right out. If you're confident it isn't your birds they might have an allergy to something at his place or their immune system is lowered during the stress of the move and they're more susceptible to colds.

Are they eating cracked corn at his place? If it isn't dried and it's fresh it can be very prone to mold.

Sounds like a stress reaction Sally. Upper respiratory. The vetrx may help. Or he can use Tylan... I know... not natural but as a last resort, something to keep in mind.

If you know you're going to be selling birds, maybe start giving them vitamins/minerals/electrolytes/probiotics in their feed or water for at least a week before they go. Then, if you can arrange for the buyer to continue with the treatment, perhaps they won't have the problem in the first place.

We use a combination of straw and pine shavings in the coop, and friend put some in that had a little bit of mold and my pullets immediately started sneezing, but it stopped as soon when cleaned the coop the next morning and it was removed.
Most recently dandylions going to seed started a few of them sneezing, didn't think chickens got hay fever but guess they could be sensitive. or it's just getting in their nose and they are getting it out.

Quote: My birds aren't sneezing a bit. The young ones are starting to make funnier sounds as they get their grown up voices in but not sneezing . Plus this guy bought almost laying hens. I think I will suggest that he give them the VetRX and add a mineral block.

Sounds like a stress reaction Sally. Upper respiratory. The vetrx may help. Or he can use Tylan... I know... not natural but as a last resort, something to keep in mind.

If you know you're going to be selling birds, maybe start giving them vitamins/minerals/electrolytes/probiotics in their feed or water for at least a week before they go. Then, if you can arrange for the buyer to continue with the treatment, perhaps they won't have the problem in the first place.
I will mention the tylan to him. It could be the lack of the electrolytes. I have it in the water almost all of the time. Most times I don't have advance notice from the buyers, maybe a day or so. SO far I have bought a batch of birds in the dead of winter to raise up for laying this time of year and I sell them off to various chicken owners and beginners in my area. This guy is the only guy to complain of sneezing. I have had a few complaints that an EE won't lay soon enough, and one complaint of a hen going through a strong juvenile molt.

SallyinIndiana
Maybe you should see about scheduling a trip out to see the hens and conditions for yourself.
idunno.gif

While we're on the subject of runny noses, I acquired 6 pullets from a breeder two weeks ago and they travelled most of the day (with a long rest in middle of the day). Three are older, at POL and 3 are about 12 weeks now. One of the younger ones, a Cream Legbar, had a runny nose when she arrived, even bubbles coming out of her nostrils. I put them on electrolytes and probiotics right away but only for two days or so. The bubbles went away but she still had a runny nose, and then I noticed one of the other young ones had it too, a BC Marans. So I spoke t the breeder and she said to put them on the electrolytes. I put them back on both the probiotics and the electrolytes, this in one water bottle, and a splash of ACV in the other water bottle. My question is, should I give them the VetRx, maybe instead of the ACV? And if so, how much do I give? I will look at the bottle but don't have it here - do I just add it to their water? I forgot I had that in my first aid kit, along with Nutri Drench. So, if you all have some ideas as to how to support these girls that would be great. They are still in quarantine in the chicken tractor and obviously I don't want to transition them to the coop until they are 100% healthy. They are also on FF.

One more question regarding feed. Do those of you who have various ages and sexes housed together feed an all flock and have oyster shell out for the layers, if not how do you handle the various stages of growth and their needs? Right now I have the littles around 5 weeks who are on starter, the 3 mos olds in two areas on grower and the new 3 layers on layer. All are fermented, which makes for 3 bins going and lots of washing right now. The chicks I will keep on starter for a little while yet, so I'm not asking about them. But for the rest, should I keep doing what I'm doing until the younger ones are at POL? But then what about the cockerels, I've read (probably here) that too much calcium is not good for them. I'm just trying to navigate all the options out here and would like to know how those of you who feed FF and have a mixed flock do it in order to meet everyones's needs and keep it simple for you. Once I figure this out I would like to make a FF automatic feeder like the one Hennible made (there's a thread on that).

Thanks everyone!

While we're on the subject of runny noses, I acquired 6 pullets from a breeder two weeks ago and they travelled most of the day (with a long rest in middle of the day). Three are older, at POL and 3 are about 12 weeks now. One of the younger ones, a Cream Legbar, had a runny nose when she arrived, even bubbles coming out of her nostrils. I put them on electrolytes and probiotics right away but only for two days or so. The bubbles went away but she still had a runny nose, and then I noticed one of the other young ones had it too, a BC Marans. So I spoke t the breeder and she said to put them on the electrolytes. I put them back on both the probiotics and the electrolytes, this in one water bottle, and a splash of ACV in the other water bottle. My question is, should I give them the VetRx, maybe instead of the ACV? And if so, how much do I give? I will look at the bottle but don't have it here - do I just add it to their water? I forgot I had that in my first aid kit, along with Nutri Drench. So, if you all have some ideas as to how to support these girls that would be great. They are still in quarantine in the chicken tractor and obviously I don't want to transition them to the coop until they are 100% healthy. They are also on FF.

One more question regarding feed. Do those of you who have various ages and sexes housed together feed an all flock and have oyster shell out for the layers, if not how do you handle the various stages of growth and their needs? Right now I have the littles around 5 weeks who are on starter, the 3 mos olds in two areas on grower and the new 3 layers on layer. All are fermented, which makes for 3 bins going and lots of washing right now. The chicks I will keep on starter for a little while yet, so I'm not asking about them. But for the rest, should I keep doing what I'm doing until the younger ones are at POL? But then what about the cockerels, I've read (probably here) that too much calcium is not good for them. I'm just trying to navigate all the options out here and would like to know how those of you who feed FF and have a mixed flock do it in order to meet everyones's needs and keep it simple for you. Once I figure this out I would like to make a FF automatic feeder like the one Hennible made (there's a thread on that).

Thanks everyone!
I mix together Flock Raiser by Purina and Gamebird Grower by Nutrena half/half and ferment them. Everybody eats the same stuff, no more juggling feed buckets for different ages... that's just too much work for me.

Regarding your questions on VetRx, you apply it to their head and the groove inside their mouth. If you want to put some in some slightly warm water, it will mix throughout the water or if you put it in cold water, it will bead on the surface of the water and the birds will pick at those.

Thanks Lacy! Yes, right now it's too much work. It takes about an hour to feed, broken into two feedings. Between 2 coops and the brooder. I'm feeding the littles 3 times a day right now since they seem to need it. Two dishes in the quarantine pen since we have a meanie that pecks at everyone, though she does seem to be getting better, and one more in the main coop - all switched out 2 times a day (3 for chicks) = lots of dishes. Once we streamline it will get much better.
Any suggestions for how to handle these birds to administer the VetRx? They have not been handled much. Thankfully they are not the mean one. I've only handled chicks really so any advice would be appreciated. If I can't put it right on them then I'll try the water method.
Thanks so much.

Putting it on them isn't difficult... of course you need 3 hands.. or a helper.

Have someone hold the bird under an arm, grasping the feet with one hand and keeping them snug against their body so they cannot flap those wings. You... get some VetRx on your bare hand (whichever one works best for you) and with your other hand, grab the chicken by the head, from behind. Hold it firmly without cutting off their air supply. Rub your VetRx'd hand over their head, get the comb, between the eyes, the beak and nostrils and then underneath get the throat and wattles. Release the bird's head and get some more VetRx on one of your fingers. Grab the bird's head again the same way, only a little higher so that the comb is touching the palm of the hand. With your thumb nail of your other hand, pry the beak open a bit. This is where they might really fight it... so both of you be ready for the struggle.

Once the beak is open, swipe the roof of her mouth with the VetRx on your finger.

That's all there is to it.

Don't worry if some gets in their eyes, it doesn't hurt them at all.

Just thought I would share with y'all...

... tonight's chicken dinner...
... theirs, not mine.

Pancakes? Of course pancakes! What else would I do with Bisquick that's full of weevils? I few other odds and ends from the fridge and some mixed whole grains thrown in for good measure and TADA! I think they'll be pleased! And if they're not, well, they're gonna be hungry in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom