The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I am currently feeding FF 20% breeder pellets but would like to increase the quality of feathers by adding some grains to my feed without increasing my cost too much (current feed 15.99/ 50 lbs) any suggestions. 

Best grain for protein would be soy. Second best isn't really a grain, but its what I use; alfalfa. Alfalfa pellets can run 25-40% protein, same as soy. Both are about the same price, but alfalfa may be cheaper in some areas and some folks just don't care for soy.

If you can find a granary or feed mill, they'll both run about $.20/ lb.

Last edited:
I am currently feeding FF 20% breeder pellets but would like to increase the quality of feathers by adding some grains to my feed without increasing my cost too much (current feed 15.99/ 50 lbs) any suggestions.
They are getting plenty of protein. If you add grains, that will decrease their overall protein. My suggestion, if you want to add some grains is to look through your freezer, (and ask your friends to do the same) for any out of date, or freezer burned meat that you could supplement them with. What is the issue with your birds feather quality?

They are getting plenty of protein.  If you add grains, that will decrease their overall protein.  My suggestion, if you want to add some grains is to look through your freezer, (and ask your friends to do the same) for any out of date, or freezer burned meat that you could supplement them with.  What is the issue with your birds feather quality?  

They are our Exhibition brahmas and they don't have as much shine as I would like plus on their tails the feathers keep unzipping (spliting) near the tip. No males in this pen. I heard maybe adding oats would increase oil or something to build shine from inside out.

Field peas are a good source of protein (sprouting before giving to them is better). I suggest researching soy before going that route. I don't give my poultry any soy.

How old are they? Feathers get tattered before they molt. An other issue with tail feathers is that they may be touching the back wall of the coop when they are roosting. That will wear their feathers down quickly. I like to see roosts about 15" from the back wall to prevent this issue as well as condensation from respiration moisture (if they happen to choose to face the wall, which is not often.)

How old are they? Feathers get tattered before they molt. An other issue with tail feathers is that they may be touching the back wall of the coop when they are roosting. That will wear their feathers down quickly. I like to see roosts about 15" from the back wall to prevent this issue as well as condensation from respiration moisture (if they happen to choose to face the wall, which is not often.)
They don't roost much mostly dog pile which could be leading to the feathers getting tattered. They have roosts about 1 ft off the ground, in continuing heights to 4ft high about 2 ft from the wall but they prefer to sleep all bunched up instead. They are about 6-8 months old. My hens are a different story can't show them they are in full molt with no foot feathers just little pins sticking out or bare bottoms.

They don't roost much mostly dog pile which could be leading to the feathers getting tattered. They have roosts about 1 ft off the ground, in continuing heights to 4ft high about 2 ft from the wall but they prefer to sleep all bunched up instead. They are about 6-8 months old. My hens are a different story can't show them they are in full molt with no foot feathers just little pins sticking out or bare bottoms.
You've answered your own question. Next issue is to figure out why they aren't using the nest. My bet is that the older hens are intimidating them from roosting. Also, look at your roosts. some coops have skinny little sticks for roosts which are hard on a hen's feet, and allow their toes to get pecked by hens that are below them.

Back
Top Bottom