The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

First egg!!!!!! Yahoo! From our blue copper maran. Not from chicks I've raised, but she's about 4 weeks older than mine
smile.png

Beautiful egg and adorable kiddo!!

Thank you so much! She seems as lively as the others and is eating fine, so I guess I will try not to worry. I will still go get some vitamins though. Can the vitamins go in the same water as the ACV?

I do put vitamins in the same water, but you could also put them in the FF. I honestly don't know if the ACV would present an issue to the vitamins or not - sorry I'm not much of a help there! I think your chick is likely a bantam. As long as its healthy, don't worry about it.
smile.png

Quote: Yes,
I highly recomend the added vitamins in chick water. I use it with the ACV. If others feel this is not correct and do not do it for spacific reason I do not know about, please chime in. I personally feel the ACV aids the absorbtion of the vitamins.

Del - specifically what kind of vitamins do you put in the water?

I have heard of folks using PolyViSol if there is a problem and I've reserved that for if there is ever a time in which I have problems (kind of like a remedial rather than preventative). I'm thinking the PolyViSol is a synthetic vitamin blend so I haven't just put it in as a matter of course.

So far I've never used any vitamins as what I feed s/b sufficient but curious what you are referring to?

Aoxa- I thought ur temps up there were always colder than ours but it seems we have the same cold front. A toasty 5 degrees this morning at7 am with a windchill of-15.......hens popped their heads out of run this morning & turned right back around lol of course we are now getting our famous lake effect snow........they are saying a foot or more. Hope the girls find something good to watch on chicken tv :D. They are taking turns in the nesting boxes so that's a good thing.

I forget who had their first BCM egg but congrats!!!

Hope everyone stays warm today :)

Tons of house work and chores to be done...and I am reading threads and sorting wood for my new pens :) I will post pics when done. I am incredibly proud that I am building stuff (and using power tools LOL) I could barely hit a nail before moving to the sticks! It'll be a year in three weeks and we've never looked back. I hardly recognize my farmer-self these days :) quite a leap from my previous corporate life.

I went to the silky thread and there are tons of links to look at stuff. I just started at page one and started looking.
Well I'll have to look into that, as I don't believe they have any added health issues, but definitely need special care to keep looking their best (ie: stay out of water :p)
That is not enough brine time..they need 24 hours.
The recipe I found online said 1 hour per pound of meat. I didn't brine in milk, but in salt water.

Quote: So someone want to give me exacts? I was very dissapointed with results. I must have been looking at a recipe for already tender meat. Not free range roosters :p

Last edited:
I am so sick of you kids whining and complaining about the cold! By golly when I was a kid it was this cold ALL winter not just a couple of days. I remember we had to walk 8 miles to the school... each way....heated by a potbelly stove which rarely got it up to 45 degrees. And.... it was uphill both ways and through 3 1/2 feet of snow.
Anybody have an extra silkie? I ran out of charmin.....

Back
Top Bottom