The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Cool! It seems like there are a lot of us on here with horses - that is weird! Wonder why..... I'd love to know what kinds of horses you have.

Thanks for the info. You are right, *most* horses learn quickly that the human is the alpha but, occasionally, there will be one that tests you. And then there are those that come to us from very "doting" parents with no manners at all. They have basically run their owners around and come to us to be "fixed" after some incident. LOL! I guess you find that, along we "horse training/development", we also do a lot of "human training/educating" ;)

Can't wait to try this technique with my roosters this afternoon!!!

Angela
www.naturallyequine.org

Wait! You can train HORSES??????
big_smile.png

I'd say it's mostly people training, but don't tell the people that.
wink.png

I used to have a big 10 acre training center and riding school. I showed and trained mostly hunter jumpers but I have done a bit of everything. Reining, natural horsemanship, dressage, eventing... Now instead of a horse farm I have kids. Couldn't be a good mom or good instructor/trainer/barn owner when trying to do both. We sold the farm but kept two of the school horses. Now I board at a nearby stable (after 10 years of mucking stalls, carrying water in winter, broken pipes, boarder and client drama I really appreciate being able to write my board check and walk away!) I now teach kids riding lessons 3 days a week. My daughters can be there with me either riding or running amok at the barn and I can achieve some kind of balance. Well, mostly. :)

Mumsy you are awesome! What a great picture and what a wonderful story. Johnny is a lucky little man. I can't get over walking the rooster at a renaissance fair! I want to walk my chickens!!!!!!

Cool!  It seems like there are a lot of us on here with horses - that is weird!  Wonder why.....  I'd love to know what kinds of horses you have.

Thanks for the info.  You are right, *most* horses learn quickly that the human is the alpha but, occasionally, there will be one that tests you.  And then there are those that come to us from very "doting" parents with no manners at all.  They have basically run their owners around and come to us to be "fixed" after some incident. LOL!  I guess you find that, along we "horse training/development", we also do a lot of "human training/educating"  ;)

Can't wait to try this technique with my roosters this afternoon!!!

Angela
www.naturallyequine.org

Wait!  You can train HORSES??????  :D
I'd say it's mostly people training, but don't tell the people that.  ;)

I used to have a big 10 acre training center and riding school.  I showed and trained mostly hunter jumpers but I have done a bit of everything.  Reining, natural horsemanship, dressage, eventing...  Now instead of a horse farm I have kids.  Couldn't be a good mom or good instructor/trainer/barn owner when trying to do both.  We sold the farm but kept two of the school horses.  Now I board at a nearby stable (after 10 years of mucking stalls, carrying water in winter, broken pipes, boarder and client drama I really appreciate being able to write my board check and walk away!) I now teach kids riding lessons 3 days a week.  My daughters can be there with me either riding or running amok at the barn and I can achieve some kind of balance.  Well, mostly.  :)
:frow Hi I'm a retired jockey (since November 2011), my husband trained TB racehorses. Now we're trying to finish our arena & plan on training barrel horses :)

woot.gif
Hooray for horse people!!!

I've done a lot of different horse stuff over the years but I could NEVER be a jockey. You are soooo brave or soooooo crazy. I can't imagine that kind of speed with all that raw equine power all around me. Gives me shivers to think about it. It must be an incredible rush.

All of my birds would do well in your elements..
Not all of my birds would survive well in hot climates
Most of my egg layers are dual purpose and cross bred to Cornish

I was told that my egg layers would never go broody the other day because I used cornish, and leghorn as a foundation years ago. They thought it was a bad mix.

one week left to go...
delish, love love love this pic of the pancake broody.

Did I ever tell you guys about my fiance's underpant story?

If you missed it....

She stopped traffic (6+ cars) in her underwear.

I think everyone and the mail man have heard this story.

I do not let her live it down. It was a very good day.
I laughed out loud at this one til I cried! she sounds like a good sport

Funny how a lot of us horsie folks end up with chickens too! I grew up riding hunter/jumper - thought about going the jockey rout (I'm only 5'0") but decided I liked jumping too much - LOL. Retrained a lot of ponies for folks and went on to do a lot of breaking/training in my 20's.

Then had kids.

Finally getting back in the saddle after way too long... and back into working with ponies!

Unfortunately because neither of my parents like horses, I have almost no pictures of me riding - LOL!

lala will be crying down her leg like the rest of us..

My job interview went well. They said they will be calling for interview two.

Mumsy..what a cute story about Johnny..love your fair outfit I have one simular.

Off Grid. please please do not be offended....your roo issues does not sound like freezing problems..sounds lke moisture problems. Bubbles in the eye, swollen face is a sign of GRD possibly other things. You need to keep an eye on the rest of your flock. If you see any more signs, you need to treat your flock. Did you look at his lungs when you butchered him?

Funny how a lot of us horsie folks end up with chickens too! I grew up riding hunter/jumper - thought about going the jockey rout (I'm only 5'0") but decided I liked jumping too much - LOL. Retrained a lot of ponies for folks and went on to do a lot of breaking/training in my 20's.

Then had kids.

Finally getting back in the saddle after way too long... and back into working with ponies!

Unfortunately because neither of my parents like horses, I have almost no pictures of me riding - LOL!
Is that you?...very exciting all you horse riders. I do not have horses any more. I could not reason with myself to spend so much money just because I liked them. I miss them sometimes.

Question 1:
Hey everyone, I posted a question on another thread but haven't received a response in a couple days, so I thought I would ask all of you. I have a family member who can only house 3-4 chickens where she lives. My daughter incubated and raised the chicks for her but unfortunately she ended up with 2 roos and 2 hens. They are about 6 months old now and we are getting rid of one of the roos as we know 2 roos to 2 hens is just too much. The other roo they have fallen in love with, so we were wondering if 2 hens are fine with 1 rooster or is that not enough girls for him?

Question 2: For myself - can I have 2 roosters with 10 hens or is that pushing it? And lastly, what if I end up with 2 regular roos and 1 banty roo? I have 12 chickens total and one of our Australorp "girls" that we ordered crowed this morning. They are about 14 weeks old. There is another one that we think might be a rooster but can't quite tell yet and we think one of our 3 Silkies might also be a rooster. Just trying to get an idea of how many I can safely keep if we end up with too many wrongly sexed chickens!

Question 3:
Lastly, will the regular roos hurt my Silkie hens?

Back
Top Bottom