The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote: Sure..I need to add the meat..I forgot I am going to change it
I also give 1 oz of meat per 12 chicks.
And that is daily, right?

Del, if you want I can forward the email you wrote to me about your feed (to bulldogma) so that you don't have to re-write all that. She could edit it and fill in the extra stuff from this and make a good article...shall I forward it?

And thanks for that email. I don't think I ever responded but it was good info! Just what I was looking for :)

Last edited:
Yes..that would be great!!

I also wanted to add, if you are fortunate to have a feed store that sells bulk seeds for planting(most communities do) you do not need to purchase that much. I use little bags. I come home with 10 lbs total weight, however 10 lbs added to the fresh herbs and fresh meats goes a long way with baby chicks. When they hit the ground they have clover, kelp, spinach, and oregano fresh growing during spring, summer and fall. They also have apples, grapes and pears when in season. I am planting blueberries this year for them.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's similar to the other one. Seems like it will be cheaper too, especially for so few chicks. I can get organic grains in bulk. :)

The last animal show I saw was a cat show, not even sure I'd admit that to too many people.  lol  I wondered if the judges took the chicken out of the cage and pulled them up by the tail and pulled on their heads....You all have my deepest respect.  I know so much work goes in to showing.:highfive:
I running back and forth in front of my computer with garlic and a crucifix.  I'd forgotten I have a hen that has given me a soft egg almost every day for over 2 years.  She either isn't laying at all or she got over it.  I tried everything.  It was always in the nest box and what a mess.  I hope things work out.  They say they usually do.  My real reason for commenting is the cutie in your avatar box.  I love it!

aoxa - Congratulations on your barn insurance.  That's a huge step!  Keep us posted with pic's as you go along.  sue

Thank you Sue :) That's my 7 yr old Ian. I think he's holding the girl in question, that was taken in Dec.

Delisha thank you for the advice, I'm taking it!

Oh and Sue, the garlic and crucifix image made me literally bust out laughing!

Sure..I need to add the meat..I forgot I am going to change it
I also give 1 oz of meat per 12 chicks.

This is great and I think a lot of folks will find it useful!
Thank you!
lol.png

Since we're talking about feed...and the prices have gone way up, thought I'd post a link to this...
Food for thought...
When the chickens can get out they have access to my compost pile - though mine isn't as large as this one!

Vermont Compost Company uses Chickens to process their compost. An interesting business that sells compost and eggs ... Interesting article!

Quote from article: "Karl doesn’t feed his layers any grain or purchased feed. Whatsoever." 12,000 chickens!

Photo Credit: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/A+Paradigm+Shift.html
VERMONT-COMPOST-composter-chickens.jpg

Photo Credit: http://www.vermontcompost.com/about.html
about_right.jpg

LM - got the emailed article. Thank you bunches!!

Love that article on the compost chicken ranch - the pictures are great and what a wonderful (all natural) way to do business!

LM - got the emailed article. Thank you bunches!!

Love that article on the compost chicken ranch - the pictures are great and what a wonderful (all natural) way to do business!

Did you look at the slide show of photos on Vermont site? Lots of good photos of the farm and at the end, some of the chickens and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom