The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

love.gif

Stony too. He's a bigger duck person than I am. I am more of a geese person :D
cute. If I were starting over with birds and have the knowledge I have now.... I would either only have ducks or at least mainly ducks. So much easier than chickens and quite entertaining as well.

I remember this being discussed in the GB thread. I would imagine if the FF wasn't sitting in it for long periods. If they are cleaing it up in a reasonble amount of time, I wouldn't think so, but perhaps sitting around it may comprimise the metal. I imagine not as bad as it mixed with water, but still some chance. Anyone thoughts?

I was using a teflon coated pie plate for a while and that worked well. The teflon kept the FF from coming in direct contact with the metal. Saw no evidence of etching.

Oddly, the girls seem to prefer their FF served up directly on the ground. It looks like quite a mess as they stomp through it but they seem to eat more of it that way.

cute. If I were starting over with birds and have the knowledge I have now.... I would either only have ducks or at least mainly ducks. So much easier than chickens and quite entertaining as well.
Really Stony?

For a purpose, or just pleasure?

I was thinking about when I was a kid and living next door to a commercial egg and replacement pullet barn and the things I saw. A lot of the equipment would not be of much use now because it's outdated, antiquated, or downright dangerous. All that and besides, most of us are not wanting to base our small operations like that of a big commercial operation.

Twenty five years ago my mom and dad gave me two old glass waterers that were found on a shelf in that old barn. Covered in cobwebs and dust. I don't use them any longer because they are very old and I don't want to risk them breaking or chipping. The tops hold nearly a gallon and the bottoms are very thick and heavy. The bottom just rests on the top and you flip them. No screwing them together. Very nice heavy glass. I may use them again someday.

Do any here use antiquated farm equipment to raise chickens naturally? Got pictures?

mumsy, I am green with envy over your old waterers. I do use a couple vintage glass waterers - I have a pink! chick waterer base that works with canning jars, and two plain ones. I also have a gallon sized square glass water that has a bakelite base, which is cracking. I am investigating what sort of glue I could use on the base....and I have a redwing buttermilk feeder which I use for water. Wish I had access to fresh buttermilk - heck, for me not the chooks!.

All of these have the advantage of not being plastic, letting me use ACV, and easy to clean. They are heavy, and sturdy, except for the bakelite base :(.

I know I could ding them up, but haven't broken them yet!

Really Stony?

For a purpose, or just pleasure?
more often than not my few duck females will out lay the same number of hens. NO pecking order issue with ducks. They welcome newcomers with open wings. None of the chicken pecking order nonsense. It is simply great. The Pekins eat a lot of food, but the Runners weighing in at 5 lbs max don't eat much and the food to jumbo egg ratio is fantastic. Ducks are always playing... so the entertainment is constant. Give them food, water and a little space to play in and Ducks are happy and entertaining. Not that I don't love my chickens....cause I do. I just prefer my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom