The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Please everyone.. be very safe with your extension cords. Don't run a bunch of different plugs to one outlet. Make sure all your cords are sound.
There are so many electrical fires every year. Our house fire was electrical but not from a cord. We lost a cat and everything we owned. I vowed to never use them again. 8 short years later I do use the heavy weight ones.
sad.png
[/QUOTE]
Not just extension cords. Our house fire was caused by a power strip. Our house burned to the ground, and as it happened at night when our family of 5 were all in bed (on the 2nd story) we got out with just the clothes on our backs. Three of us had to go out an upstairs window. So please - if you're going to use power strips, get good quality ones and be very careful. We were told that the on/off switch doesn't always work and they get hot, then burst into flame. The insurance man told us, "It has the same effect as pouring a gallon of gas on your carpet and then throwing a match on it."

Aoxa - I'm so sorry for your loss. There are no words to make it better, but I hope that the care and concern of others will help you through this.

Justine -
There are no words...
There are no words I can say that would take away the hurt, the loss...
The beautiful, wonderful birds and animals that have, together, crossed the "rainbow bridge."
Heaven welcomed a large family of beloved creatures yesterday.
They will be fine there - but it's for those still here that my heart breaks.

I am so, so VERY sorry!
Leigh

I got a lot of kind PMs. I will get to them. I promise. I'm just trying to hold myself together while I'm falling apart.

Informing everyone is one of the hardest parts. It makes it real.

I never in a million years thought this could happen. I feel to blame. I feel helpless. The barn and possessions are all replaceable, but those animals are not to me. Still, I will carry on and not allow this to stop me. I am going to have a flock again. I am going to build a new barn that is safe and properly wired for what I plan to do with it.

The wiring was very, very old.. There were cords all over the place, and we did have a power bar, and that could have been the start as well. Not sure when we will know the origin, or if we will at all. The barn was insured for 46,000 and that's not the personal belongings, just the barn. We can build something great with that. I know it.

You guys - I hope I can continue to take part in this thread.. I do still have about 14 birds all in the basement. This will be my pet flock until I can get that barn built back up and once the insurance money comes in, we can build a little coop for them while waiting.

And to think I was going to move them all to the barn yesterday.. I would have lost every single bird...

Everyone here is just devastated.. we all are in shock. My neighbours, and friends in the farming community have all opened up their arms to us. Offered help. It is really nice to see. Thank you all again.

I wouldn't be here without each and every one of you. You're all so important.

I got a lot of kind PMs. I will get to them. I promise. I'm just trying to hold myself together while I'm falling apart.

Informing everyone is one of the hardest parts. It makes it real.

I never in a million years thought this could happen. I feel to blame. I feel helpless. The barn and possessions are all replaceable, but those animals are not to me. Still, I will carry on and not allow this to stop me. I am going to have a flock again. I am going to build a new barn that is safe and properly wired for what I plan to do with it.

The wiring was very, very old.. There were cords all over the place, and we did have a power bar, and that could have been the start as well. Not sure when we will know the origin, or if we will at all. The barn was insured for 46,000 and that's not the personal belongings, just the barn. We can build something great with that. I know it.

You guys - I hope I can continue to take part in this thread.. I do still have about 14 birds all in the basement. This will be my pet flock until I can get that barn built back up and once the insurance money comes in, we can build a little coop for them while waiting.

And to think I was going to move them all to the barn yesterday.. I would have lost every single bird...

Everyone here is just devastated.. we all are in shock. My neighbours, and friends in the farming community have all opened up their arms to us. Offered help. It is really nice to see. Thank you all again.

I wouldn't be here without each and every one of you. You're all so important.
again...so very sorry.

I am jumping ahead (page 712 and the last is page 722) so I can post these photos before I leave for my doctor's appt. Then I'll get caught up on reading!

Congrats Mumsy on the chicks! Whoo! And your grandson is ADORABLE!!!

My husband built me a Terrier proof brooder box and bought me 5 new babies: 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 White Amerucanas! They are cracking me up, they are so funny! They are good medicine :)

Thunder, Lightning and Feather (the SLWs, comes from kids naming chickens!) Moneypenny and Marigold (Amerucanas).

Now, back to reading (at the doctors that is)

Back
Top Bottom