The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Hi all,,, for all of you with a dead log you can't move on the property,, here is a nice option.... neighbor has these leading all up her driveway...

600818_387002564747850_1647768388_n.jpg

Anyone want to contribute how we should water our future birds?

I'm not sure how well you guys can see this floor plan I made of just the chicken part of the barn. The troughs will be free standing. I can move them in and out as needed (ie probably only in there in the winter)

We aren't going to heat this part of the barn at all, but it will be insulated. I'm trying to figure out how to water year round.. I was hoping to do some type of nipple waterer.. but I think that will freeze, and I'm not sure where to put it against a wall.. windows all along one wall, so not much space... plus I will have waterfowl, so I don't think it will work as well as I originally hoped.. unless of course they go outside to get their water..

Thoughts?
Just a thought you can run a small recirculating pump from bucket back down to main water line below frost line if water moves it wont freeze. I would stay away from outside walls unless foam insulated.

Last edited:
Hi all,,, for all of you with a dead log you can't move on the property,, here is a nice option.... neighbor has these leading all up her driveway...

600818_387002564747850_1647768388_n.jpg
beautiful! great idea, thanks!

I agree with all the posts about the simple life. I like the idea of just living off the land. I would do much more of it if the rest of the family would agree. The more natural I eat the better I feel.

I have a question, not sure if anyone has experienced this before: Our chicks that are 12 weeks old now will not eat earthworms or pill bugs (rolly pollies) anymore. They used to fight over the worms when they were little, now they just walk away like they are nothing special. They are enjoying inch worms and smaller bugs though. What's up with that? Any ideas? They were slurping them right down when they were just 4-8 weeks old, now they're just not interested.

they are best right now. They get bitter as the year progresses.

dandelion, violet leaves and flowers, red clover blossoms,mustard grass leaves, fresh scrambled eggs, a little wild onion grass and a dash of dressing. Good spring breakfast.

Boiled up 1st year burdock stalk with a little butter and garlic...mmmmmmmm, a tasty part of lunch.

dandelion leaf and violet leaf sun tea. Gives me lots of energy and tastes great.
Stony - do you dry the leaves to make the tea or just use them fresh?

"I'll take Sex that Chicken for a thousand, Alex."

New pics of the 2 7-week old Silkies from different angles. Boys? Girls? I'd hate to get rid of them and have them be girls.

Oh and definitely a BR Roo, right??

And last but not least, Pitch--the mystery bird.

Mel - beautiful log!!!

Just a thought you can run a small recirculating pump from bucket back down to main water line below frost line if water moves it wont freeze. I would stay away from outside walls unless foam insulated.
That idea is quite intriguing! Now you've got me pondering again hmmmm
thinking-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

How cold could it get and still stay open? I know they circulate ponds and horse troughs but, of course the water in those is much deeper than it would be in a water trough for a chicken... hmmmm

Have you done this before or seen it done? Photos or website of how to set something like this up?

I have a question, not sure if anyone has experienced this before: Our chicks that are 12 weeks old now will not eat earthworms or pill bugs (rolly pollies) anymore. They used to fight over the worms when they were little, now they just walk away like they are nothing special. They are enjoying inch worms and smaller bugs though. What's up with that? Any ideas? They were slurping them right down when they were just 4-8 weeks old, now they're just not interested.
Mine do that from time to time too. Eat them, then won't touch them.

I always wonder if it's possibly because something changes ... maybe the worms are carrying something that the chickens can tell they shouldn't eat? Maybe at certain times in the worms cycle it puts off some kind of hormone that isn't tasty? I really have no idea but I know I observe that too.....

HMMMM your "mystery bird" looks like my "mystery bird".... Where did you get it?

LL

Oh.... and better be careful where you put the commas in that statement:
"I'll take Sex that Chicken for a thousand, Alex."
giggle.gif

Back
Top Bottom