The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

LOL! It was a BIG surprise!! Big surprise and my smallest coop.
Well the smaller coops are easier for newbies to build. Most people want to start out with 3 or 4 birds. Were you one of those? I know I was LOL.

I started out with four. My first coop was 4 x 8 feet made from pallets (with plywood for sides and cedar shingles on the outside of that). It was crappy looking, but we built it out of love. I have pictures of the progress. Dylan helped, and it was a hoot.

The barnyard pullet that could not stand or walk right was in decline. Today was very warm and she simply could not get anywhere on her own. I moved her two or three times today to get her out of the sun. Poor wretched thing. She never did show outward signs of what was wrong. I did a quicky necropsy, not a whole extensive exam. What I found confirmed my hunch. She was damaged in both knee/hock joints. The right leg had been hemorrhaging internally all this time and the skin was turning green and it looked very painful. The left hock was also damaged and starting to change color too. She was very filled with fat around her organs. Her liver showed signs of fatty liver disease. I have a good set of pictures but it takes a long time to post them. Based on what I found it is clear she was going down hill and suffering. Also based on her fat deposits, it's time I cut way back on the layer feeding. They are all now going to be fed separate from the Silkies and HRIR. If this pullet is this fat, the others must be too. I knew I was feeding too much. Now I have proof of the harm it is doing to these layers. I should have cut back a couple months ago. *sigh*

I wish I knew what caused her damage. It is odd that it is both legs. She had no external injury.

This afternoon. I carried her to this spot. She lay there for hours. Poor thing. The rest of the flock never bothered her all day.
I will post the necropsy pictures if there is interest.

Lynn so happy to see your flock has improved so much
Sue- glad George is doing well. I wish Lucy was.

Today was better everyone had their own shade area. But tonight while I was changing greens bandage my neighbor yelled I had an escapee. Lucy flew to a limb over the run(about 5 -6 ft up) and was running the yard. We grabbed her & tossed her back in. This is where she ended up
null_zps5d6cfe6f.jpg

I should of got a pick of the 3 tots staring at her in awe. I swear their beaks dropped since they couldn't figure out how she got up there.
I got her off and she flew into the yard. She was easy to catch because she wanted back in with the chickens. Roosting time is like a bunch of 2 year old kids. Up, down, up.down.......chase Lucy........Edie is having to much fun being mean Edie to Lucy and Lucy is bigger than her.

Want to guess which 2 after all the roosting ruckus roost next to each other? Yup Edie & Lucy. No clue how she can chase Lucy all day then let her roost next to her all night. Just like little kids lol

Mumsy sorry to hear about your pullet. Could the damage be genetic of sorts? I wouldn't think jumping from a roost would cause that? Maybe she had bad joints or weak ones?

And I am interested in the necropsy pics. I am always thankful when they are posted. It helps me learn

Mumsy,

It feels good to make the right decision when it comes to the birds we love. Putting them out of pain can really lighten the stress load. Conformation at that little niggling at the back of the brain that you know something is simply not right just makes it seem better when we hate doing it.

I know it is hard to post pictures. When you have time I would be very interested to see the pictures. I love to learn and it helps to have a visual.

I understand how upsetting culling is and please do this when you are ready.

Vicki

Mumsy,

It feels good to make the right decision when it comes to the birds we love. Putting them out of pain can really lighten the stress load. Conformation at that little niggling at the back of the brain that you know something is simply not right just makes it seem better when we hate doing it.

I know it is hard to post pictures. When you have time I would be very interested to see the pictures. I love to learn and it helps to have a visual.

I understand how upsetting culling is and please do this when you are ready.

Vicki
Vicki said everything I was going to say. Hang in there
hugs.gif

A couple of questions for fermented feed users regarding broodies: What do your broody hens do when you feed them? I have a hen who I thought was going broody. She was spread across the eggs, fluffed and hissed when I got close etc...but when I came down this afternoon to feed the birds she was down with the others doing their "happy dance" that feed was coming. I removed the eggs since she just started sitting today, and the rest of the day she was walking around being "normal". If I left some eggs in the nest, do you think she would go fully broody?

I had a hard time with this one. Was really pulling for this girl. I had invested some effort and emotion into trying to help her survive what ever it is that happened. Not to mention loss of sleep. Researching on the internet trying to come up with a theory as to what was going on in her joints and legs.

Thank you everyone that commented kindly. It does help to share the burden here. And fresh eyes and ideas are really helpful.

I don't think she had DP any longer. The damage was clearly evident in both leg joints as soon as I cut and peeled the skin away from them.
Before the necropsy, I used my hands to manipulate her legs, joints, toes, and thighs. I could feel nothing and see nothing out of the ordinary. I could feel her getting lighter everyday. Even though she was covered in a good layer of fat, her keel bone was getting sharper. Poo was beginning to accumulate on her bum and belly as I feared it would. She was laying on the ground and litter 24/7 for two weeks. You can see in the images of her alive how bright and clear her eyes are. Her face is good and red. She was laying everyday. Today she did not but a normal formed egg was in her uterus.

She was normal looking in every way except for lack of use in her feet and legs.

My husband helped me do the deed when he came home from work. It was hot today. I needed help as she was a big bird. He also was curious to see what I found under her skin to get a look at those joints.

Something is wrong with the site or my computer. I can't edit or add more images once I preview.

I'll keep trying with the edit.

This is the right leg. I could see the problem as soon as I cut the skin away. It looks gangrene but has no smell at all.

Same sort of damage but less on the left leg than the right.

Right leg again.

The liver is mottled with fat. I had to pull a lot of fat away from her gizzard and intestines. The egg in her uterus has a thin shell and cracked when I pulled the fat.

A better view of her breast and leg with skin pulled back on the right. A layer of fat under the skin but her keel is starting to protrude. She is dehydrated. Poor thing. There was some fluid accumulation around her damaged joints.

Last edited:
Well, It's been a month so I built a temporary integration dome inside the run, under the ramp. The "littles" spent their first few days there this weekend. This morning. I noticed they were out in the run and couldn't get back in - I had left the hatch in the top open after I refilled their water. So I just went ahead and cut a few openings on either side at ground level.

I go out this evening, and they are not in their little sleeping corner..... They are up in the coop!

Of course, this was not popular with the "owners" who promptly kicked them out. The peeping was so pitiful to hear!

After the big girls settled into their corner, the littles crept up the ramp and were allowed to stay at the very top of the ramp. I just checked, they are still there so the flock integration took a big step forward today.

Back
Top Bottom