The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

He is eating and drinking normal. His poop seems normal. When he walks, he steps kinda high but my mom thinks its normal for a chickens walk. Other than the leg and foot issue he seems to be much better than when I first caught him. He is growing a bunch of new feathers in now.
I did notice last night that he has some poop stuck to his fluffy feathers under his vent, so I cut it off. I'm not sure what a normal vent looks like, so I took pictures. I hope nobody minds me asking and the picture.

Picture of vent.

with all of the other vent pictures it should fit right in.
I know I have seen vent pictures from posters asking about hens getting ready to lay eggs or hens that are having trouble getting that jumbo egg out. Those pictures actually helped me learn more about my hens so I'm sure your rooster vent pictures will benefit someone too.

I appreciate this thread, however it would be more useful as a sub-forum so we could read and search for threads of interest and things specific. Like health topics, feed topics etc.

If there a reason why we can't?
19,555 is a bit much, no?

Hey everyone - need a little advice...

Tonight when I went out to visit my girls, my naked neck "Squeaky" was walking funny. Then she started to almost lay down or fall over - something definitely was wrong. I went to pick her up and a softshelled egg dropped out of her, but it didn't seem complete. It was about 3/4 of a softshell with a full "white" and 1 complete yolk.
So, I brought her in and put her in a bath of warm water - VERY gently massaging her. Took her out and set her on the counter with a little treat of yogurt and she started acting funny again, ruffled her feathers, squatted and out came an entire other yolk with the last 1/4 of the softshell.
Do you think she's okay now? Anything else I should do?

I appreciate this thread, however it would be more useful as a sub-forum so we could read and search for threads of interest and things specific. Like health topics, feed topics etc.

If there a reason why we can't?
19,555 is a bit much, no?

There are other sub forums on this site just for the topics you listed. Have you visited the rest of this site yet. This is just one long thread. There is a blog somewhere out there that takes the best of the info on this long thread and sorts it as you might wish. I can't post a link to it here though this site has rules against linking to other chicken blogs. You would need to search using google.
But really it is nice to have it all in one thread with a search function. Easier for me to stay up to date on one thread than 20 others listed by topic.

Can anyone recommend the top 1-3 best types of fodder grass? Primarily for chickens, but also for cows in the winter time when they are off grass. I am considering ryegrass.. not sure if there would be an advantage to barley, or alfalfa, or something else?

What else do you like to grow in/around the garden for the animals?
I grow spinach, kale, oregano, wheat fodder, sunflowers, barley fodder, pumpkin, squash, tomatoes..and

proteinforchooks.jpg

I just took a bunch more pictures so that maybe you can get a better view.
I can't figure out how to put more than one on at a time though. Ugh!

After his next soak, take a good look at this red area. What you are doing for this bird is working. I can see new skin and scales..good job. keep it up. The soaking in epsom salts will really get it cleaned up quicker. It is easier to put a salve on, but he needs a good soak often to get it over the edge.. 15 minutes in a warm/hot bath. I would use a 5 gallon bucket with enough water to cover his hole leg. 1 cup of salts.
I really appreciate your help!
Do you think it could possibly be hormones?
If I gave him penicillin and he didn't need it, would it hurt him?
Sorry if my questions sound silly but I have had zero experience with chickens until now.
No it is not hormones. He has something going on. It could be a sliver that is infected or a tick inbedded. it could be anything.
Hey everyone - need a little advice...

Tonight when I went out to visit my girls, my naked neck "Squeaky" was walking funny. Then she started to almost lay down or fall over - something definitely was wrong. I went to pick her up and a softshelled egg dropped out of her, but it didn't seem complete. It was about 3/4 of a softshell with a full "white" and 1 complete yolk.
So, I brought her in and put her in a bath of warm water - VERY gently massaging her. Took her out and set her on the counter with a little treat of yogurt and she started acting funny again, ruffled her feathers, squatted and out came an entire other yolk with the last 1/4 of the softshell.
Do you think she's okay now? Anything else I should do?
If she is a pullet, she might be ok. If she is over a year old......this will happen again. When it does you need to cull her, or get some experience dealing with

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
Quote: it is a very convient site, but it can't be shared on here. If you ask us what you are looking for perhaps we can point you in the right direction

Quote:
Thanks Delisha - she is a pullet - approximately 23 weeks old. However, she was a super early layer; layed her first egg just barely over 18 weeks old. I did find a softshell egg in the middle of the run yesterday and then this happened today - not sure if the softshell yesterday was hers or not but everyone else seems to be doing fine. Thanks for the link - will check it out!

Oh good! When I cut the poop feathers off, it didn't have a bad odor or anything.
You could always put some nustock around his vent if you feel it looks irritated. It certainly wouldn't hurt. You can purchase the nustock at Tractor Supply or a farm or feed store. Keep up with the soaks they will certainly be the best thing for along with the fresh herbs
I grow spinach, kale, oregano, wheat fodder, sunflowers, barley fodder, pumpkin, squash, tomatoes..and

proteinforchooks.jpg
Delisha I never knew of anyone who served mouse on a plate
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom