The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Just to be perfectly clear on this...

The maggots were raised on dead bodies of raccoons or other road kill.

The BSF are raised in a compost bin of vegetable materials.

So...BSF don't compare to the bad maggot problem.

Well ... If it only takes 5 "bad" BSF larvae to poison a duck, I do believe it is important to "be careful."

I just got an email response from Manna Pro. Their dried mealworms ARE from China. Dadgummit. My girls LOVE them. Why is cheap labor/no regulation so necessary to corporate profits? Why can't customer satisfaction & health be as important as shareholders? Oh, well. We'll have to find something else yummy & "animal" to enjoy, instead of mealworms.
roll.png

Just to be perfectly clear on this...

The maggots were raised on dead bodies of raccoons or other road kill.

The BSF are raised in a compost bin of vegetable materials.

So...BSF don't compare to the bad maggot problem.

Well ... If it only takes 5 "bad" BSF larvae to poison a duck, I do believe it is important to "be careful." 

Leslie, I think you missed how that are raised...
They are raised in an enclosed bin where you have 100% control of their diet while they are larvae. While they are in fly firm they do not feed... they do not have mouths. There is zero chance of a problem.

Last edited:
Leslie, I think you missed how that are raised...
They are raised in an enclosed bin where you have 100% control of their diet while they are larvae. While they are in fly firm they do not feed... they do not have mouths. There is zero chance of a problem.

Actually, I didn't. There is an active discussion about this issue elsewhere ... like for people using the BioPod to farm BSF. The advice elsewhere is to be careful. I think it is good advice for people here, too.

Minnows are $3.00 a dozen here..my bait guy gives me all of the old minnows for free. I toss them in zip lock bags and freeze them.
yeah, they run $2-$4 bucks here depending on size you are getting. Delisha, that is a fabulous idea to get their old ones!!!! I'm gonna have to make friends with the closet bait guy.

Here are my sprouts after 5 days. Everything started to sprout even the flax seed.
The top pic is a close up of everything that sprouted.
The 2nd pic everything that was in the quart canning jar.
The last pic is my lid and the plastic insert for draining. I had a piece of plastic divider I cut to fit the lid than drilled holes in It. LM pic of the plastic lid she has inspired me. It drains fine but I have to take the lid off to fill with water to rinse it. I am going to try bird seed next and see how it sprouts.
smile.png

I just took some out to the girls and they seem to approve
I have one jar lid screen insert, and want more so I can keep sprouts going in several jars, love the idea of the plastic with the holes in it. You just saved me some $ and a trip or trips to go get more screening. thanks!!

And funny, my sprouts are 5 days today too and I fed them to the chickens and cats this morning.
I went to sprout world online and got a huge bag of samples sizes of maybe a dozen different blends just because I want to eat some myself...

Had to leave the flock locked in this am as windchills are back to -35 today, and it was -24 air temp. Gave them more cabbage, apples, etc to try to keep them busy.

I am ready for spring!

I don't eat them myself but they sure are simple enough to do this way. I have a half gallon canning jar I might try next with them. It has homemade cleaning solution brewing in it now so I will have to wait till it's done. But if I see them cheap somewhere I will have to pick some more up. They certainly are handy :)

I am going to try the burlap bags ones also. Just haven't had time to figure out the sewing machine yet to make the bags. It's my grandmas and I need my mom to show me how to run it again. I'm trying to get finish all those little projects around the house first.

Had to leave the flock locked in this am as windchills are back to -35 today, and it was -24 air temp. Gave them more cabbage, apples, etc to try to keep them busy.

I am ready for spring!
I lived in the Cities for a good part of my life. It is winters like you are having up there that make me very glad I moved south!

Stay warm!!

Back
Top Bottom