The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I thought they looked like half plucked shamo's!

So is there actually a specific breed of naked necks or does the name just apply to any birds carrying the naked neck gene?

While unattractive to me, their pluck-ability is intriguing. Could we make big fat naked neck meat birds?

I also read your thread on caponizing. It's a very interesting idea, wish I could do it but know that hubby wouldn't help and I get very close to passing out just drawing blood samples from the birds. Don't know why, I can butcher just fine but I'm betting I would pass out during that process.
Yes, and yes. Yes there is a real breed called NN, w/ specific rules to how it must look, pure, like any other breed. They are listed in the "showable" pure breeds book. (sop) However any mix that shows a naked neck is also called a naked neck. It does get a bit confusing as to whether someone is talking about a NN as in the breed, or a NN / Nn as in the phenotype.

Where are you getting comfrey?  I've been trying to find some for a couple of years now.

It came with the property, I would send you some but not sure it would travel that far very well and we would probably have problems with customs.

No idea of the variety, it doesn't seem to spread a lot. Grows in a few patches around four feet across and waist height.

I picked a ton of plantain and had it drying on the deck only to find my silly cat eating it all. Guess he likes it better dried as I don't see him eating it fresh.

It came with the property, I would send you some but not sure it would travel that far very well and we would probably have problems with customs.

No idea of the variety, it doesn't seem to spread a lot. Grows in a few patches around four feet across and waist height.

I picked a ton of plantain and had it drying on the deck only to find my silly cat eating it all. Guess he likes it better dried as I don't see him eating it fresh.
Those cats can be pretty funny!
lol.png

I got mine from Coe's Comfrey
I will see what I kind find here.

Thank you both!

Do you feed fresh or wilted whole comfrey leaves to your flock? If so, do you put them in a fodder bin or just toss them in the run?

Last edited:
Well...I'm thinking if that scab doesn't loosen up enough for it to open after the compress you will have to open it. What about an epsom salt soak in the warmest water that is comfortable for her rather than just a compress?
Just rushing through....my mother passed away 2 weeks ago. but this has to be the cutest picture I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom