The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I think we've posted this before but I was showing it to a friend today and just laughed hilariously. After a death in our family last week...and lots of other stresses....it was good to laugh.

So...thought I'd post it here again just for fun.

0.jpg

I think we've posted this before but I was showing it to a friend today and just laughed hilariously. After a death in our family last week...and lots of other stresses....it was good to laugh.

So...thought I'd post it here again just for fun.

0.jpg

Yes, hon, it does make you smile.
gig.gif
Hope it made you feel better too.

Last edited:
Farmer have been buying grain in bulk for a very long long time. With out the stuff spoiling. A good try wooden box is sufficient. Or as us new age homesteaders are doing, an old freezer that doesn't work any more work excellent. No critters get in and it's content stays dry as long as the old freezer it's self is not exposed to the elements. Works just fine. We have been doing this for 40 years.

Farmer have been buying grain in bulk for a very long long time. With out the stuff spoiling. A good try wooden box is sufficient. Or as us new age homesteaders are doing, an old freezer that doesn't work any more work excellent. No critters get in and it's content stays dry as long as the old freezer it's self is not exposed to the elements. Works just fine. We have been doing this for 40 years.

Using old refrigs or freezers has always seemed like a good idea to me - bet i could fit an old chest freezer in the coop....

Fall chicken chores:

harvest comfrey and dry for the flock
harvest tansy, mint and wormwood for nest boxes
harvest and dry clover, dandelion leaves, sorrel, oregano, marigold petals
grab a couple of garbage bags of fallen leaves and forest duff once the leaves fall
clean out firepit and put ashes away for winter use
mow one last time and rake up grass clippings when dry for coop.

build a sunporch out of old storm windows and haybales to provide more snow free areas for the run in the winter
haul hay bales into coop for winter use
dig out and test old heated dog bowls
haul some fresh dirt for under the coop

start talking to people about saving pumpkins for the chickens

take chicken supplies that shouldn't be frozen out of the coop and into the house (vetrx, cod liver oil, vinegar)
put away glass waterers and metal waterers, secure a supply of ice cream buckets for the winter

cull three roosters (find delisha's brine recipe first)

y'all might think I'm hitting fall chores early but.....first snow is coming this week up north, and I've only two weeks before first average hard frost date......

Back
Top Bottom