The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

One thought I'd like to throw out regarding use of soap for worming. A bit of caution regarding the typical dish soaps found in the typical American kitchen. today's soaps with all the anti-bacterial and other additives are much different than the soaps of years ago. Basic H sounds like the perfect soap option.

One thought I'd like to throw out regarding use of soap for worming. A bit of caution regarding the typical dish soaps found in the typical American kitchen. today's soaps with all the anti-bacterial and other additives are much different than the soaps of years ago. Basic H sounds like the perfect soap option.

That is an excellent point.
thumbsup.gif

The "dish water" that the "old-time" housewives gave to the chickens was NOTHING like what it is today. That's why it's important that you don't use any old soap.

Oddly enough they do not. She's definitely low on the pecking order but our flock coexist pretty nicely. We just removed the 10 cockerels the same age as her and even with those boys in there we really didn't have issues with behaviour.

I will investigate further tonight and make a decision based on her condition. Unfortunately hubby will be gone hunting for a week and I am working side jobs all weekend and then in another wedding next weekend so will be mostly taking care of the critters at night.

If I can get her cleaned up this time I fear that this will only happen repetitively and laying may kill her. So as much as I know some people will think badly of me for it, I may cull her. I don't want to start treating her, not be able to do so often enough and end up making her suffer. It will all depend on how bad the infection looks under there. Trust me I go to some extreme lengths frequently to save animals but I don't want to prolong suffering if the end result appears to be inevitable.
add me to the list of folks thinking you should make your own decision about culling - I sure wouldn't say it was the wrong decision! and sometimes life doesn't let you give the time needed to care for an ill chick. everyone does what they think is best for their own situation.

This is soap I just purchased. It's also available in us but just a lot cheaper up here. While I know the kind with lavender wouldn't work for a wormer they do have a plain variety also. I just like it because it doesn't have all the extra chemicals in it

Maybe the soap?
lol you made me laugh. No, I don't think the soap (bronners) made the hens stop laying. I've given it to chickens before and not had any problems, and lack of appetite showed up a few days after the soap dosing.

this worming thing is a hard issue: some say that healthy chickens can keep things in balance and not get overrun with worms. Others say, nah, healthy chickens become unhealthy with a worm overload. I know you can keep your flock healthier if you can rotate the run so they are on "clean" pasture but that isn't practical for me.

I read a 1919 book which said back yard flocks should have the run plowed up and the soil turned to help keep it healthier since rotation wasn't possible. Thats an interesting idea...maybe tilling the run next year, at least on the side without the pine trees might help.

I have one 6 year old hen, 6 hens that are 3 years old, 8 that are going to be 2 years old this spring, and 4 pullets from this spring. I am undecided about whether only "weak" or undesirable chickens get worm overload.

yes, I have deep litter from the hay bales I used to make a shelter to add more snow free areas last winter in a portion of the run, but there are also grassy areas, areas full of blackberry bramble, other areas full of golden rod, and then the packed earth under the pines and under the trailer.

I don't want to put the litter from the coop into the run - it has to be full of worm cysts.

My decision to use or not use chemical wormers (safeguard) was made for me because when I got home last night, the coop and yard were full of feathers - most are in molt! And because the wormers are so hard on the hens, you aren't supposed to worm when they are in molt.

So, I will up the garlic intake, be diligent about the molly's herbal wormer and supportive formula, use acv in one of the waters, and use soap in the waterers one day a week. I did order shaklee basic H but found i had accidentally gotten shalkee basic H 2, and the company actually says to not use that and instead use the original formula for animal purposes. Shoot! I also want to further investigate the gum turpentine. People ingest that...and supposedly 10 drops on a piece of bread per hen is sufficient.Two of my hens are having that ALso, mumsy said she hadn't herself used it, but kerosene floated on the water was an old time wormer.

Also, am culling 3 roosters from this spring's hatch today.

Hate to do it, two are really good kind roosters and one too early to tell...handsome devils too. But, I have that teeny tiny legbar rooster and thats enough. He has just started calling the legbar pullet over for treats, and he is so small, no bigger than a small kitten. I know the legbars are small, but he is mini sized. Very funny to see.

This time, I'm following Delisha's brining instructions and hope for better results. It will be interesting to see if these boys have worms .

Not sure on the dosing of the grapefruit seed extract, I looked it up once, but don't remember. I was still deciding which I planned on trying the basic H or the gse.

That pink goo at the hole the feathers came out of is not lice. It's just feather pigment. The older the chickens at slaughter the more you get this. I got it at 14 weeks and all my birds have it at the wing edges.

Back
Top Bottom