The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Also - the reason I asked about the skin condition was to try to determine if there may be a yeast infection (ring worm, etc.). If there is a possibility of that there are other things that can be used on the skin and in the diet to help with that as well.

Thanks for the advice. If I were to separate her, how would that look? I have a dog kennel I can set up in the garage but obviously I can't let her free range with the other girls. Would it be stressfu l for her to be separated and then stressful for her to return? How long should I keep her apart? And how to I reintroduce her?

I didn't see any ringworm or rashes. I guess the separation will help determine if she's eating her own feathers...do you think I could let her out on my fenced in deck while the other girls are in the yard? Or should I just keep her inthe kennel?

Do you have the opportunity to hide out and watch them for a few hours or a day? It may be interesting to see if you observe any real picking going on.

It sounds like you have a really large run. Could you just separate off an area where she can see the others but just not be where they can get to her? Just a temporary section that could be removed later on?

If she's not sick I don't see any reason she couldn't run free! Only issue would be if you have hawks or any predators that might find her easier to get to if she's on her own.
I didn't see any ringworm or rashes. I guess the separation will help determine if she's eating her own feathers...do you think I could let her out on my fenced in deck while the other girls are in the yard? Or should I just keep her inthe kennel?

Yes I could divide the run. Would I leave her to sleep out there or would I let her into the coop at night and bring her back out in the morning?
I have watched them off and on during the day and while they do preen each other a lot I haven't seen any aggressive behavior which is what made me think she was eating her own feathers...

If you separated her a place in the run you would only want her to sleep there if it's predator proof. If not pred proof ...If you have a little dog crate or something similar you could let her sleep in the garage in the crate and then let her be out near the others during the day.

I think she'd be much happier where she can see and "be with" the others during the day. And it's not like you're separating her for an illness...just to let her have a place to observe her and see if you can figure out what's going on.

One thing with feather picking (if it's going on) it often happens at night when they're going to roost when they start picking at each other's feathers. I have seen it with one of my birds. I seldom see them go after feathers during the day but I have observed it at dusk at roost-up time.

Thanks everyone for all your help and wow what an amazing chicken for lasting that long! also I had feather picking once and if you don't mind me putting in my two sense I would say that's what your dealing with. I learned it was because they needed more protein in their diets.

Back
Top Bottom