The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I think mine is a 2 gallon bucket...or maybe 3...I'll have to check. I get them free from the bakery at the local grocery store. I think frosting comes in this size. I think this is the only photo I have of it... for perspective, it's up on some blocks (which is kind of ironic...
giggle.gif
)
Like the blocks :D thanks for the pic. We have bunch of different sized buckets from our nurseries so procuring one of those won't be an issue.
you know, there are all kinds on byc, and sometimes a person can see them selves as a queen bee and take after others now and then. Not worth a thought. I did flag for moderators and asked they keep an eye on it in case they need to intervene again. I heard a rumor that we might get out of this artic blast - its been below zero for so long...and it might get into the 30's in a week!. In the meantime, I am using those gloves and very glad for people taking the time to recommend them!
I flagged as well based on the attack she did to LM for no reason.
ignoring and flagging is the best way to go. There was a troll on the learning how to capon thread. I flagged it and it was removed within the hour.
Thanks for the advice. I should know by now every forum has people like that, just got to ignore. However, I didn't want to be misrepresented to those people who are actually trying to learn something from my experience.

Last edited:
Like the blocks
big_smile.png
thanks for the pic. We have bunch of different sized buckets from our nurseries so procuring one of those won't be an issue.
I flagged as ll based on the attack she did to LM for no reason.
. Thanks for the advice. I should know by now every forum has people like that, just got to ignore, however, I didn't want to bee misrepresented to those people who are actually trying to learn something from my experience.
If the post is offensive, it will be removed and the offender will have a consequence. It is good though to post information that will help others reading the thread.

It surprises me that something like a DIY thread would have problems like that.

yeah, it is just this one particular troll. she was banned for a while because of previous behavior. kind of a cult personality and if someone is getting respect she likes to take them down.

I really think this thread and a few others I frequent have been very friendly and great.

on another topic, I don't think I have ever had such a problem with frozen eggs. I'm starting to think I need a years supply of those hand warmers - the little charcoal activated paks (very environmentally unfriendly) to stash in the nests each morning under the hay.

I actually was given a reuseable kind = you press a little metal tag and the heavy plastic pouch filled with gel heats up and holds the heat for hours. Then when it is cold, you drop the pouch into boiling water and it rejuvenates it - that is, goes back to dormant and you can use it again when you are ready. magic!

on another topic, I don't think I have ever had such a problem with frozen eggs. I'm starting to think I need a years supply of those hand warmers - the little charcoal activated paks (very environmentally unfriendly) to stash in the nests each morning under the hay.

Why do you say that the handwarmer packets are environmentally unfriendly??? Their components are all quite natural and are readily recyclable: iron, cellulose, activated carbon, salt & vermiculite http://www.chemistryislife.com/the-chemistry-of-hand-warmer, even the polypropylene outer packaging.

the hand warmers were a stocking present, the box just says Reuseable Hand Warmers - brand is Ruff Hewn

ChickChickChicky, I think because those hand warmers are a single use item - and go into the waste stream when you are done with them, as does the wrapper, that they are environmentally unfriendly. There are lots of things that could be recycled theoretically but aren't because of the economics/politics involved.

But then,.....I think I am committing a sacrilege if I use a paper napkin! So all those disposable products: diapers/paper towels/plates/napkins/feminine products/foil/saran wrap/plastic cups/water bottles/single serving chips and other snack foods......I avoid. They aren't in my house. Oh, except for baby chicks, I buy a roll of paper towels each time I have baby chicks that I am brooding for those first few days when bedding represents something edible to them.

I can't avoid lots of disposable products (bandaids! plastic shopping bags when I didn't expect to shop! polyprolene feed sacks when I can't get to the mill - they use paper sacks which make great linings for under the roosts in the winter when chicken poop just turns into frozen ice balls....and on and on and on)

Here in minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, we are discovering water shortages. wells going dry, acquifiers emptied, lake levels dropping. From the prolific waste of water - ......I know, I sound like a cranky nut. But I am amazed when someone comes to my house and turns on the faucet and just lets it run full blast without thought.

I am by no means without blame, lots of my personal practices could be improved and I drive a wasteful 150 miles each work day. But I figure if each of us does what we can....it will add up.

ChickChickChicky, I think because those hand warmers are a single use item - and go into the waste stream when you are done with them, as does the wrapper, that they are environmentally unfriendly. There are lots of things that could be recycled theoretically but aren't because of the economics/politics involved.

I am by no means without blame, lots of my personal practices could be improved and I drive a wasteful 150 miles each work day. But I figure if each of us does what we can....it will add up.

The easiest way to recycle MANY things is to put them on your personal compost pile. Turn "trash" into good, usable soil, it's easy and you don't even have to leave home. You can recycle your paper towels and napkins this way too!!!!

yeah, it is just this one particular troll.  she was banned for a while because of previous behavior.  kind of a cult personality and if someone is getting respect she likes to take them down.   

I really think this thread and a few others I frequent have been very friendly and great.    

on another topic, I don't think I have ever had such a problem with frozen eggs.  I'm starting to think I need a years supply of those hand warmers - the little charcoal activated paks (very environmentally unfriendly) to stash in the nests each morning under the hay.

I actually was given a reuseable kind = you press a little metal tag and the heavy plastic pouch filled with gel heats up and holds the heat for hours.  Then when it is cold, you drop the pouch into boiling water and it rejuvenates it - that is, goes back to dormant and you can use it again when you are ready.  magic! 

the hand warmers were a stocking present, the box just says Reuseable Hand Warmers - brand is Ruff Hewn

ChickChickChicky, I think because those hand warmers  are a single use item - and go into the waste stream when you are done with them, as does the wrapper, that they are environmentally unfriendly.  There are lots of things that could be recycled theoretically but aren't because of the economics/politics involved.  

But then,.....I think I am committing a sacrilege if I use a paper napkin!  So all those disposable products: diapers/paper towels/plates/napkins/feminine products/foil/saran wrap/plastic cups/water bottles/single serving chips and other snack foods......I avoid.  They aren't in my house.  Oh, except for baby chicks, I buy a roll of paper towels each time I have baby chicks that I am brooding for those first few days when bedding represents something edible to them.  

I can't avoid lots of disposable products (bandaids!  plastic shopping bags when I didn't expect to shop! polyprolene feed sacks when I can't get to the mill - they use paper sacks which make great linings for under the roosts in the winter when chicken poop just turns into frozen ice balls....and on and on and on)

Here in minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, we are discovering water shortages. wells going dry, acquifiers emptied, lake levels dropping.  From the prolific waste of water - ......I know, I sound like a cranky nut.  But I am amazed when someone comes to my house and turns on the faucet and just lets it run full blast without thought.  

I am by no means without blame, lots of my personal practices could be improved and I drive a wasteful 150 miles each work day.  But I figure if each of us does what we can....it will add up.  

Nice that your so environmentally conscience, we recycle and compost almost everything we possibly can. My BF has a compost business so it's just apart of us, lol. Anyway on the frozen eggs, there is a post/thread for using seedling heat mats, controlled by a thermal cube that you can put in the next boxes under the nesting materials. I will see if I can find the link, I thought it was pretty ingenious myself.

Can you give me your proportions on the coconut oil/vitamin e salve your have been using on the wattles of your roos? I am going to make some today to start putting on the boys wattles and combs to help heal the damage. I was thinking I might add some Calenula oil that I made from our garden as Calendula is great for the skin.

The easiest way to recycle MANY things is to put them on your personal compost pile. Turn "trash" into good, usable soil, it's easy and you don't even have to leave home. You can recycle your paper towels and napkins this way too!!!!
yea we love compost! Our chickens help us compost and eventually they will be in charge of turning our piles....

I have found a couple threads on here that I frequent as well and for the most part I have found people helpful and friendly. Life is to short to spend time worrying/dealing with people whose intentions are not positive and wish to tear others down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom