The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Rather than a petroleum based product, what about applying coconut oil to the skin and it can be added into their feed. It is great for skin, plus it is has ant-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
I would do the coconut oil.

Costco sells big jars of it too.

Just a quick pop-in.

Enjoying catching up from the last 2+ weeks. Things are slowing down a bit here finally. For those that didn't hear, we had another funeral here and a pretty big change for our life as a result. Had to be away and may be in and out.

So many things I'd like to comment on from the last few weeks.... Still no time.

I will say that laying is starting again...yay! Had 6 eggs today out of the small flock of 9. That's quite a novelty.

My "naked molter" has filled back out again and is laying...a pretty big change from this in December... (I'll have to get an "after" picture when I have some time.)

Rather than a petroleum based product, what about applying coconut oil to the skin and it can be added into their feed. It is great for skin, plus it is has ant-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Well now that is an awesome idea! lol, we eat a paleo diet for the most part and have coconut oil all over the house including the bathroom and bedroom for skin and hair.
I never thought to give it/use it on my chickens!

Also, I think there might have been a confusion. I wasn't suggesting the use of Vaseline I was asking if it should be applied for a situation like this. I'm new to chickens and I look to all of your
great information to help me along with me girls and roos.

thank you for the coconut oil idea I will add it to their mash tomorrow and use it on my hen that is brooding some eggs. Her comb had been looking very dry. I'll put the Vaseline up.

Just popping in to say hello.

I am pretty busy with life right now and many changes going on too. I hope soon to be able to catch up and spend some time reading. Hugs to everyone!

Well now that is an awesome idea! lol, we eat a paleo diet for the most part and have coconut oil all over the house including the bathroom and bedroom for skin and hair.
I never thought to give it/use it on my chickens!

Also, I think there might have been a confusion. I wasn't suggesting the use of Vaseline I was asking if it should be applied for a situation like this. I'm new to chickens and I look to all of your
great information to help me along with me girls and roos.

thank you for the coconut oil idea I will add it to their mash tomorrow and use it on my hen that is brooding some eggs. Her comb had been looking very dry. I'll put the Vaseline up.

How about castor oil? That is what Beekissed suggested over on the scaly leg mites thread. As soon as the temps stop being negative around here, I am going to give the castor oil a try. In addition to adding moisture and smothering mites, Bee says it has anti-inflammatory properties, as well.

Back
Top Bottom