The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

We have a pole barn that was here when we bought the property.  We did not build it.  I would not attempt to make a homemade pole barn.  BUT if I choose to, I can walk into every coop or pen I have for the chickens and goats.  And of course the barn is has more than enough room to walk in.

Here is a method i recommend for a beginning coop.  Find a used shed, add nests and bars if you feel so inclined, make the shed sectioned off for people and chickens.  Venting is typically needed to or the door will need to be left open.

Here is a link to a used shed in Indiana that costs much less than a coop of similar size.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grq/4903280608.html

I may check out some local lists like CL and Freecycle and see if there is anything I can use to maybe add on to what I have....even if my son helps it might save him some work.

That looks like a nice building in that add.

we found something a bit smaller and of course cheaper for out expected kidding season. My first coop I did not think of pricing used sheds and ended up with a very expensive coop kit that looks like a tiny shed. It was an educational expense more than a chicken expense.

Ours is a converted shed as well,it was free as it was on the property. I can sort of walk into it. I can stand up in it, but I do not consider it a walk in coop.

@SallyinIndiana
I know what you mean about the learning experience. So much of what you see is really impractical but you don't know it until you have some experience. I think most of us would do something different housing-wise now that we have some experience!

All...
This is the shed we got and moved to the property. it is 12 x 8 I believe.

My husband build dividing walls inside so I could have a walk-in people side where the chickens didn't go. It has an indoor nest box accessed from the people side you can see looking inside this door there.

Here are the inside divisions. Nest box on left. 2 areas divided with interior frame doors on the chicken side so I could divide off or leave open depending on need. The idea was to have a place for the chicks to brood where they could be with the rest of the flock but not touched until integrated.

You can see one of the roosts looking through here.

Here's the other side of the nest box on the chicken side :D

On the people side. It has a lock twist type locking latch to keep critters out. In the summer I keep those front doors wide open all day and night and the interior 1/4" hardware cloth is designed to be as pred -proof as possible. You accomplish that by making smaller expanses with framework so that it isn't easy to push in if you're a coyote or raccoon.

Nest box top opened for collecting eggs.

See the framework for the smaller expanses? The hardware cloth is stapled to all those framework pieces.

Last edited:
A question for folks with A GOOSE:

In the most recent Acres Magazine, there is an article with Joel Salatin asking him to update what he's learned since updating the Pastured Poultry Profits book. I was pretty excited to read what I'm quoting here regarding guard animals for chickens. Wondering what y'all think who have had geese.

Now remember. He says 1 GOOSE per flock of chickens. Not several geese. Here's the quote...please comment:

Quote: Pastured Poultry Since 1991 By Joel Salatin Acres Magazine March 2015 I would definitely consider getting 1 goose if this were true.

caf.gif

A question for folks with A GOOSE:

In the most recent Acres Magazine, there is an article with Joel Salatin asking him to update what he's learned since updating the Pastured Poultry Profits book. I was pretty excited to read what I'm quoting here regarding guard animals for chickens. Wondering what y'all think who have had geese.

Now remember. He says 1 GOOSE per flock of chickens. Not several geese. Here's the quote...please comment:

I would definitely consider getting 1 goose if this were true.

caf.gif
While Mr. Salatin's solution might work for him I would (as a goose owner) question it as a solution to the small flock owner. First, make sure you get a goose and not a gander. Second make sure you get one of the more docile and calm breeds. Even then your goose is going to be lonely for geese companionship their entire lives. Geese are unique in that they bond with other geese so tightly as to form a family relationship. Goose and Gander mate for life and even with no male around two geese will bond in a relationship like old maid sisters. These relationships can not be formed with other breeds of birds.

Back
Top Bottom