The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

@galefrances
and others...

This brings ups a question for me...do you all have a sprayer that you recommend?  I was considering a backpack sprayer but thought again because I thought it might be to heavy to haul around.  I want to do the raw milk spray on about 2 acres but will have to do it by hand... any recommendations for a good sprayer?

I bought mine a couple years ago at the TSC for about $20. It's on wheels and is quite easy to handle. I don't remember the brand.

[COLOR=333333]@ Lauravonsmurf: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]"but I was wondering if anyone uses Tobacco as an insect preventative? I have grown tobacco before (just for giggles, I wanted to see what the plant looked like), I have used it medicinally on family members but never considered poultry uses until reading it has been used as such."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Hi,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I'm not an expert or even as knowledgeable as most on here, but I've been using tobacco water for 3 yrs. now when I do my yearly coop cleaning. I read on the original OT site that there was a man named Jerry Baker who was a master gardener about 20 yrs. or more ago for Kmart. Evidently he had his own daytime TV spot as well. Anyway, he made tobacco water out of his chew and added it to his spray. What that spray was I don't know. Anyway....I take my husbands cigarette butts and soak them in gallon bucket of water for a day or two, long enough to make what looks like a strong tea. Then I add that to about another gallon of water in my garden sprayer. I wait for a really sunny, warm day and I spray the entire coop making sure I get in all the nooks and crannies. I let that dry completely, and air it out well. I've never had an issue with any insects of any kind. My hens have always been bug free (knock on wood).  I make sure I wear protective goggles and gloves when spraying. I'm not sure if this is the best way to clean, but I know it's an effective pesticide. I was told ammonia will also work and there is a white wash recipe as well that I know some use. This way seemed the easiest to me. Maybe some of you who are more knowledgeable can chime in here.[/COLOR]

That is very interesting.  I don't have anyone in my family who smokes but I'm sure I could probably collect some cigarette butts from somewhere (ewww) and do what you are doing. 

Approximately how many of them do you use?  How often do you find that you need to spray? 

I know it's probably hopeless but on an off chance, does it repel mice at all?

I have a broody right now that is a COMPLETELY different looking bird due to the mice here, in less than a week on the nest... her wing feathers are largely stripped of webbing with nothing but the shafts left!  I HATE MICE!

I've never counted, I just keep adding them until it looks like a strong tea. I only spray once a year in the spring. I've never had mice either, but I can't say why. As I said, others may have a better way of doing things.

I just culled my first hen--a two-year-old hatchery leghorn (Grace.) Significant prolapse and laying problems over the past couple of months. I'm pretty sure it was the right thing to do--she was clearly not herself, I really didn't want to wait until she was obviously suffering--and I am very sad.

mlowen, I'm so sorry - it is a very hard thing to do, and the right thing for your hen, as hard as it was.
hugs.gif

makes me sad too, every time I have to do it.

So sorry. We love and get very attached to our chickens!
I just culled my first hen--a two-year-old hatchery leghorn (Grace.) Significant prolapse and laying problems over the past couple of months. I'm pretty sure it was the right thing to do--she was clearly not herself, I really didn't want to wait until she was obviously suffering--and I am very sad.

hugs.gif
So sorry, you did the right thing for her.

Sorry you had to but it is no good to let her suffer.

(((Hugs)))

I have had to cull birds that where pets. It is no fun.

I HATE having to make the decision to cull any bird. The only time we did it I know I waited longer than I should have. Even then it was a sickening feeling.

hmm.png

Very sorry @mlowen

Back
Top Bottom