The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I was out today and seems the pullets from April are going into a molt they are dual purpose but my egg layers aren't they just seem to be still working that out, when we bought the new 6, 1 had been laying for about a month and had 2 others start the a day after we got them so they are still getting the hang of it. some days we get 1 egg and others we get 4 , they are leghorns. I forget is this normal when they first start laying?

we added to the flock Monday of last week:
2 brown leghorns
2 white leghorns
2 buff Orpingtons not yet laying

Last edited:
I love the idea of regenerative farming and the concepts in BTE. I have incorporated wild grape vines, which are native here, in the pasture . They also do double duty in providing fruit for the poultry, as well as are a catch crop for the Japanese beetles.

beware a wild grapevine needs a lot of room, this is all one plant, lots of tiny purple grapes

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, I don't want to sound arrogant, or know it allsy, but I am past learning breeds, and how to feed, or sex poultry, I can see I'm going to learn a lot with this forum.

On another note I noticed extra feathers in my pens already, is it already time for the molt, seems like a month early, I like to watch natural signs to predict our winter weather.

I too will shovel the shavings out of the pens and into the runs, as well as putting grass clippings, fall leaves and hay, nice dry run for deep digging, plus in my big shed the donkeys dig through it and eat stuff, crazy donkeys.

I practice no till, intensive gardening, throw stuff on top, let the worms do the work, I am able to plant as soon as I see the garlic come up, I have been eating tomatoes for three weeks already, I am proud of this and sorry if I am bragging.

beware a wild grapevine needs a lot of room, this is all one plant, lots of tiny purple grapes
Welcome ohld! I think you'll fit in just fine!

I have been noticing some birds dropping feathers as well. It is early for them. Usually, they wait until it's already freezing out... goofy birds! People who have lived here a lot longer than I are also saying they think its going to be an early and cold winter judging by the weather patterns we are seeing now. Man! I need to get my barn roof finished!

I wonder if a wild grape would be able to live here! That is one beautiful plant and it makes lovely shade!

I am looking forward to learning about the BTE gardening method and the information from the guy in Australia, can't remember his name right now but I have a tab opened with the recommended reading waiting for me.

I'm also planning to read the Ginger-Garlic Extract thing for worming (?)

Thank you slordaz(?) for posting the recipe for home made apple cider vinegar. Looks easy peasy and like I could actually accomplish it!

I am in Wisconsin, zone 4, and the things grow like weeds, I am too starting to think winter will be early, I see the starlings starting to flock as well, I hate starlings.

nuts. I noticed flocking yesterday as well, and one of my hens has started molting. It is still July for pity's sake!

catbirds are eating the unripe blue berries but thats ok, I got a good harvest from them already. Blackberries aren't ripe yet though...its a funny year. I don't want an early winter! my squashes have a ways to go.

Squash? I don't even have any fruit set yet. Tomatoes? Just setting fruit. However, I picked a quart of raspberries tonight, looks like a bumper crop. blueberries bearing well too.
Thanks for the encouragement, I don't want to sound arrogant, or know it allsy, but I am past learning breeds, and how to feed, or sex poultry, I can see I'm going to learn a lot with this forum.

On another note I noticed extra feathers in my pens already, is it already time for the molt, seems like a month early, I like to watch natural signs to predict our winter weather.

I too will shovel the shavings out of the pens and into the runs, as well as putting grass clippings, fall leaves and hay, nice dry run for deep digging, plus in my big shed the donkeys dig through it and eat stuff, crazy donkeys.

I practice no till, intensive gardening, throw stuff on top, let the worms do the work, I am able to plant as soon as I see the garlic come up, I have been eating tomatoes for three weeks already, I am proud of this and sorry if I am bragging.
Sounds like you and I are birds of a feather re: gardening practices. I'm out planting while my friends and neighbors are whining about it being too cold and wet to till. Some of my flock are shedding tail feathers now. I'd be happy for a molt now. My RIR looks like a reject from the grocery meat cooler when she molts, and she does it in the dead of winter... or just going into winter.

I use what's called waterwalls, gets my tomatoes going about a month earlier, I am already sick of vegetables, and ready to get on with fall fruit eating. Don't you think rototiller people are crazy, here all my prep gets done in the fall, in the spring I peel off the layer of leaves and plant, it's soooo easy. And my squash is still growing leaves, be a while.

That's a good point about organic egg producers: I wonder what they do use (though you can be organic and get away with some fairly ugly chemicals). His recipe seems to be to throw everything you might have in your kitchen cupboard in there lol! Sounds like it's a cure all. Interesting about the carrot and apple. Thanks so much for sharing, and introducing Paul Healy to those of us who didn't know him.

I've heard people put a mashed garlic clove in the water, but I imagine that would get nasty soon enough. I think I'm going to try the garlic and ginger extract from the Unconventional Farmer website:

http://theunconventionalfarmer.com/recipes/ginger-garlic-extract/

It's not specifically a wormer, but it seems like it would be a good addition - and fun to make. I can get raw milk but not apple cider vinegar
smile.png
. I make whey for my dogs and myself, but haven't given any to the chickens. I ferment their feed and figured they were getting enough probiotics already. The buttermilk is cultured so that would be full of probiotics. I wonder if it's this or if there is something else - more research
cool.png
Thanks again!!

I reckon its the probiotics ad also perhaps something to do with calcium and alkalinity.

I use what's called waterwalls, gets my tomatoes going about a month earlier, I am already sick of vegetables, and ready to get on with fall fruit eating. Don't you think rototiller people are crazy, here all my prep gets done in the fall, in the spring I peel off the layer of leaves and plant, it's soooo easy. And my squash is still growing leaves, be a while.
Ok, I'm sold, I need easy. Can you point me in the right direction for this method you use? We are improving the land of a property we bought (and soon renovating the house) - we've been clearing and adding chickens so far, haven't had the time or energy for a garden. We're hoping to be in around Christmas at this point. So, if there is something we can do this fall to get ready for spring planting that won't send me over the edge, please share. I have done very little gardening but we want to learn and have one. Thanks!
Oh, and my neighbor here at our rental is going to give me some of her swiss chard which over winters. She's been kind to share it with us for eating and I love making soup with it (with sweet potatoes and sausage-yum!)

Back
Top Bottom