The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I had read the immersion blender recipe for mayo on (Healthy Home Economist maybe?) and I was determined to get a stick blender. Just haven't gotten one yet.

Any brand y'all like? I probably don't need anything "fancy-pants" but I don't want to get "junk" either. My main requirement is that the shaft be stainless steel.
I like my 3 speed kitchen aid stick blender. I got it from an open box deal last year. IT was a great price then. Currently the price for a new one as part of a set on Amazon is about $60. Then there is the stainless steel 5 speed kitchen aid stick blender. Now that one is much more money but wow it looks great.
The one I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MMNB6G/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

The fancy - pants one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IUJXFG

Hey...wheelbarrow experts ( @lazy gardener
)

I was debating on getting a "dump wagon" type wagon rather than a barrow.  Any comments on advantages/disadtantages?  I like the idea of having something firmly on 4 wheels with double duty as a wagon...

Something like this except NOT PLASTIC.

78af4db4-8883-47cb-a55c-3abf9ef0bed0_400.jpg

Yes, that! I need THAT! it looks so much easier to pull than the kids wagon ;)

I agree with "test driving".. good point @lazy gardener.. Nothing worse than loading up the wheelbarrow and instantly dumping it... I had a horrible one a long time ago, I actually had to pull it BACKWARDS because it was so imbalanced lol... 4 wheels would be way better :D

We use a Bobcat because of the large areas to clean but if we were smaller, this little wheeled dump wagon would be great, with many applications.

:thumbsup  

EDIT...my thoughts are that this would be better than a barrow for several reasons...for one major thing, it would be easier to traverse rough ground and would be less likely to 'dump' itself due to overload or or having the load uneven, especially in the front.

True. It helps when I have something that I don't necessarily want to scoop 500 shovelfuls of... REAL handy for hauling me in sand, or hauling AWAY poo ;)

The pile of sod is about 20' long and 6' wide. I will leave it in place for now. I have a cover crop seed mix that has some cold hardy plants. Crimson clover is in there. I'm trying my first winter garden in a different location- lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, so this area is for the chickens and the soil of course. I spread some straw on the pile and will top with coffee grounds and then plant. That is what the master gardener suggested.
Guess I'll be taking that training to be a master gardener too. It can't hurt!

We do get occasional snow that sticks. If it looks like snow,I can throw up a fast cold frame.with rebar and plastic tarps. The bent rebar is easy to pound into the ground. Will see how it goes! Have a fence ready to keep out the chickens until the plants get established. Fingers crossed.

How cold does it actually get? I ask because there are a few cover crops that will actually survive and keep growing down to 10 degrees F... You could seed winter peas, or like LG said, rye. They would both grow right through your winter, I believe. The peas are "nitrogen fixers", so the will actually PUT nitrogen in the soil instead if taking it away, much like clovers but hardier. An even hardier perennial clover is actually alfalfa. That will come back every year and not die with frost.

IMO, you'll need a cover crop either now, or in spring, or the grass will grow right back up from the bottom of the sod.

This reminds me of permaculture. The trick there is wood. Rotting wood, then flip the grass did upside down on that, then plant over it. The different cover crops have different types of roots for breaking up the soil. For instance, dandelion have long deep taproots; they help break up heavy soil and pull nutrients down to deeper rootzones. And something like clovers have shallow roots, to help with moisture retention closer to the surface. This is why companion planting works so well. Breaking up and feeding different root zones :)

Do you have interest in redworms or vermiculture? You could always add some redworms to the list of things to help aid in getting some great microbes and life in the soil and compost, plus snacks for the chooks ;)

Thanks for all the "stick" blender info! Wow...$149 for one of them!!!! That really is "fancy-pants"!

Now...
All of you that have them, tell me what things you use them for. I know I'll use it for mayo. What else?

caf.gif

Thought I'd post this here for anyone that's interested. The article is mainly about raw milk, but it is talking about healthy husbandry, etc. The guy that was interviewed in the video is a vet and I found him very interesting to listen to. He's the author of "The Holistic Veterinary Handbook".

The video at the top of the article is the "short" form...there's a link under if for the whole interview also.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n=20151004Z1&et_cid=DM87278&et_rid=1150961754

ETA:
Just began watching the "full" version.... You "natural" folks will likely enjoy it. He's talking about natural husbandry & vet practice...no worming, no routine antibiotics, etc. Holistic veterinary...

Very interesting so far.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post this here for anyone that's interested.  The article is mainly about raw milk, but it is talking about healthy husbandry, etc.  The guy that was interviewed in the video is a vet and I found him very interesting to listen to.  He's the author of "The Holistic Veterinary Handbook".

The video at the top of the article is the "short" form...there's a link under if for the whole interview also. 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n=20151004Z1&et_cid=DM87278&et_rid=1150961754

ETA:
Just began watching the "full" version.... You "natural" folks will likely enjoy it.  He's talking about natural husbandry & vet practice...no worming, no routine antibiotics, etc.  Holistic veterinary...

Very interesting so far.

I am SOOO watching it... The article makes a LOT of sense... And NATURALLY, this stuck out....

"There were two things they didn’t teach us in vet school or medical school.

One is soil science and the other is plant science. Really, if you want to have a healthy child, you have to have healthy animals if you’re eating animal food. To have healthy animals, you have to have healthy plants, and you’re not going to get healthy plants without healthy soil. So, I’ve had to be a de facto soil scientist and a de facto plant scientist. That’s essential for healthy animals with no mastitis.”

Ha! :D

Ok lol, you BET I had to point it out ;)

Last edited:
I will have to watch it. It looks to me informative and very interesting.

For those who asked about my gardening earlier in the season, we cleaned out most of the plants today, left some remaining carrots and some Swiss chard. We reformed the raised beds, planted the garlic and began putting on it's winter coat, grass clippings mixed with fall leaves will be added over the next few weeks along with a load of last year's poop so all I have to do in spring is plant my seeds. There was a lot of work holes despite it being so dry. Feed the worms and they feed your plants.

How cold does it actually get? I ask because there are a few cover crops that will actually survive and keep growing down to 10 degrees F... You could seed winter peas, or like LG said, rye. They would both grow right through your winter, I believe. The peas are "nitrogen fixers", so the will actually PUT nitrogen in the soil instead if taking it away, much like clovers but hardier. An even hardier perennial clover is actually alfalfa. That will come back every year and not die with frost.

IMO, you'll need a cover crop either now, or in spring, or the grass will grow right back up from the bottom of the sod.

This reminds me of permaculture. The trick there is wood. Rotting wood, then flip the grass did upside down on that, then plant over it. The different cover crops have different types of roots for breaking up the soil. For instance, dandelion have long deep taproots; they help break up heavy soil and pull nutrients down to deeper rootzones. And something like clovers have shallow roots, to help with moisture retention closer to the surface. This is why companion planting works so well. Breaking up and feeding different root zones
smile.png

Do you have interest in redworms or vermiculture? You could always add some redworms to the list of things to help aid in getting some great microbes and life in the soil and compost, plus snacks for the chooks
wink.png
Our average low temp in January is 35. Permaculture sounds very interesting but I don't know much about it. Not sure about vermiculture. Seems like the worms and bugs just appeared in my compost last year. They are selling red worms for $12. here. I was afraid it sounded too complicated after talking with the farmer who was selling them. That I would either drown the worms or heat the pile up and kill them. I didn't want to worry about worms. LOL.

I did have a pile of sod that was much smaller and sat for a year. Think there were some bees that nested in there. After a year, the sod pile had broken down and I couldn't see any grass or roots. I was surprised. Mixed it with some chick bedding and poo that had broken down. Am going to test the Ph and nutrient level. I suspect it isn't good as the soil I tested where there is lawn was terrible and the bedding was pine (crazy high in carbon), but it looks better that the original soil. I have no idea what I am doing, but I'd like to improve the soil with the chicken manure and cover crops.

I bought a cover crop the local garden store makes with some crimson clover and will check the local chicken store as they sell many cover crops. I didn't know dandelions were helpful!
My backyard is full of them. The bees like them. Maybe I should plant more dandelions... lol. The pile is about 2' high. I have some OG rye I will throw in. Also got a book, Free Range Chicken Gardens and will see if they have suggestions. Looks good and is giving me hope I can figure out how to have chickens, garden for food, garden for chickens, habitat for pollinators and wild birds and have a pretty backyard. My cover crop will be an experiment as I can't imagine seed will grow sown into straw and coffee grounds. Thanks for the suggestions. Will be rereading them as I keep researching
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom