The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Start them warm, 100-105, they are clumsy and need to initially taught to eat and drink. Use your finger to tap at food and water making whatever peeping noise you like, it will take a few days to a week, do it a couple times a day, make sure they all do it.

Raise them on paper towels for the first week, and put shiny glass rocks in the water and feed. Scatter some feed on the paper towels and and some of those shiny stones.

Turkeys are more interactive than chicks so be prepared for too friendly of birds.

Turkey poults are fragile initially, prone to stumbling and chilling, so put some time in initially and it will pay off. I can proudly say I've never lost a poult.

What kind are you getting, I have six blue slate eggs coming. The 15 adults I have apparently aren't enough. Here's last year's batch, my chicks run in terror from my camera, my poults want to know what it is.

I ordered apa and/or non standard varieties Breeder's choice from porter heritage turkeys. So not sure what they will send. Hoping for some nice variety.

I'm having a problem with the two new mamas. They and their chicks are in chicken wire pens in the coop. Tried to let them out yesterday, chicks are about two weeks old, and the mamas were more interested in fighting with each other than anything else. They never even got more than a foot away from their enclosures - tried letting just one out, same thing.

@lalaland
When I first let my broody with chicks out, she stayed very close to the enclosure for several days before venturing very far. I think this is because she was being very cautious as far as being sure the chicks were protected in case of hawks. Each few days she'd move farther and farther away with them. I think it also gives her time to be sure they are following her and not getting lost out there.

I've never had 2 broodies at the same time so I can't comment on the fighting. I would imagine that, if given a bit of time to "fight it out" they will settle down and go about their business. I did have my broody fighting with any hens that came close to her and her chicks when they first went out with the main group. The first time I stepped between them because they were in the hen shed and the babies were in danger of being trampled. However, it only took a couple encounters before everyone knew to stay clear and it never happened again.

I'm having a problem with the two new mamas.  They and their chicks are in chicken wire pens in the coop.  Tried to let them out yesterday, chicks are about two weeks old, and the mamas were more interested in fighting with each other than anything else.  They never even got more than a foot away from their enclosures - tried letting just one out, same thing.
I have that problem a lot, my bantams are feisty and jealous sometimes. I will let them out and allow some fighting, if it gets too rough I put them back in the pen and either try it later or the next day. Eventually they work it out, it can take a week or two, so keep at it.

Hi all!
Just had a quick question about prolapsed vent. My 4 year old hen has a slight prolapse, but is still laying eggs normally. The only way I even noticed is because sometimes she sits sort of crouched down, like she's trying to poop but nothing is coming out. I took a closer look and saw that there is a very small prolapse protrusion. If you like I can take a picture of it and add it to this thread. My question is regarding treatment: because she is still laying eggs do I just leave the prolapse as is and hope it returns on its own? Or do I go through the whole procedure of separating her from the flock, keeping her in a darker area, and withholding foo? Obviously I would like to have an option that is the least intrusive. Any advice anyone could offer would be super helpful thanks in advance! :)

thanks Leahsmom and oldhen, I'll give it another try as soon as I get a day off. work sure interferes with good chickenkeeping!

jsmith, I don't have any suggestions, but would love to hear what you try and how it goes. I've had to cull one hen with prolapse....read that you should wash, treat with prep H, but also that if chronic it is best to cull . supposedly more of a problem with hatchery birds....good luck!

Back
Top Bottom