The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

thanks everyone for the ideas - I've trained chicks I've brooded, but broody-raised chicks....not so much. If I try to give them a treat they go running.

Good news, that little baby chick survived AND found his/her way back to the run. It has wing feathers, and a teeny tail, but just down on the back, head, neck, belly. Chick reunited with mom - she stayed in the coop for a couple hours with her babies tucked under her, as did the other broody mama - they thought it was too cold to take the chicks out, so the little one ran around for a couple hours in the run making distress calls. One hen followed it everywhere for a while but the chick did not approach the hen, and the hen stayed a few feet away.

Tonight, the one mama tried again to get her babies to roost up on a med high roost, but they had no interest. When she gave up and went to the highest roost, I took her and put her in the pen with the babies, who were getting chilled. They beelined under her.

The broody that lost her chick last night took care this time to make sure all three were in, even though it took her multiple tries. That one chick just had a really hard time figuring out how to follow her.

Ok, question on the broody hen, Amelia, with the dead chick. About midday, she was off the nest and pacing. I let her out, and she stayed out all day. I took her eggs which were still warm and popped them under another hen that had just gone broody. By late afternoon, that broody had broken one open (nothing had developed), and had kicked the other egg out.
At roost time, Amelia flew back into the cupboard that was her broody nest. Now what? should I just break her broodiness?

Wow. Glad that little one got back!

On the other broody, I'm not sure what I'd do. If they'll get up and be gone for a long time that doesn't sound too promising. I wonder if seeing the other mammas with babies lured her out?

My broody has four chicks. They all came out from under mom to eat yesterday. The mom hasn't came out of the pet carrier since everyone hatched. I'll encourage her to come out today, so she can take care of herself, and the chicks can walk around.

I don't have that much experience, but the broodies I've had usually stay on the nest with the new ones for two days or more. I just keep feed and water within reach so she doesn't have to get off the nest unless she is ready.

She hatched out all her eggs?

All of her eggs are hatched, but I think she is still in the sitting mode. She has the water and feed right by her. She'll probably get off the nest when she cannot hold her poo any longer.

@lazy gardener
Yep...I don't care about the weed and the seed. My main concern is the stuff in the manure and if they put manure on their fields...even if they don't use other chemicals. We have a nice local lady that sells organic hay nearby in square or round bales. Good folks and they get my business.
From my reading, manure from animals that graze on hay/pasture that has been treated with these herbicides is still potent to kill your garden. All the more reason to keep a flock to meet the manure needs of the garden. If you produce it on your land you KNOW what goes into it. I hate to be a Nervous Nellie, but... folks... things are getting worse in this arena rather than better. Big chem companies are happy to keep us in the dark about the issues associated with their products.

thanks everyone for the ideas - I've trained chicks I've brooded, but broody-raised chicks....not so much. If I try to give them a treat they go running.

Good news, that little baby chick survived AND found his/her way back to the run. It has wing feathers, and a teeny tail, but just down on the back, head, neck, belly. Chick reunited with mom - she stayed in the coop for a couple hours with her babies tucked under her, as did the other broody mama - they thought it was too cold to take the chicks out, so the little one ran around for a couple hours in the run making distress calls. One hen followed it everywhere for a while but the chick did not approach the hen, and the hen stayed a few feet away.

Tonight, the one mama tried again to get her babies to roost up on a med high roost, but they had no interest. When she gave up and went to the highest roost, I took her and put her in the pen with the babies, who were getting chilled. They beelined under her.

The broody that lost her chick last night took care this time to make sure all three were in, even though it took her multiple tries. That one chick just had a really hard time figuring out how to follow her.

Ok, question on the broody hen, Amelia, with the dead chick. About midday, she was off the nest and pacing. I let her out, and she stayed out all day. I took her eggs which were still warm and popped them under another hen that had just gone broody. By late afternoon, that broody had broken one open (nothing had developed), and had kicked the other egg out.
At roost time, Amelia flew back into the cupboard that was her broody nest. Now what? should I just break her broodiness?
Congrats on the little survivor. I thought it might show up. Resilient little buggers, aren't they?!!! I forget Amelia's story. Did she sit 21 days, and hatch the one chick that died? If that is the case, I'd block her from the nest and break her. Did her chick die b/c someone injured it? Or did it just die for unknown reason? Did she ever show mothering tendencies, or just like the setting on eggs part of motherhood? I had one hen who was in love with setting, but when faced with a real live chick, she took off for the hills!

All of her eggs are hatched, but I think she is still in the sitting mode. She has the water and feed right by her. She'll probably get off the nest when she cannot hold her poo any longer.
You might have to keep a close eye on this Mama. She may not have the Mothering instinct.

All of her eggs are hatched, but I think she is still in the sitting mode.  She has the water and feed right by her.  She'll probably get off the nest when she cannot hold her poo any longer.
Some of my hens sit for a few days after a hatch, keeping the chicks warm, especially if food and water is within reach. I've watched them call chicks out from under them and feed them by handing them food. Then in a couple of days I go out and everything is flying as she's digging and feeding, and clucking.

my hens are gonna drive me nuts can't get them broke and got way to many broodies, now even the roosters are starting to fight

my hens are gonna drive me nuts can't get them broke and got way to many broodies, now even the roosters are starting to fight

You have my sympathy - last summer it seemed there were always 2 or 3 broodies, and the broody breaking cages were always in use. Absolute best cage was one of those wire kennels, up off the ground about 3 feet. No hay or bedding. But such a hassle!
Thats why I have I let the 4 hens hatch this spring, I just couldn't face it again.

Amelia, the one who hatched only one egg and probably killed the chick, is frantically broody still. She was in the broody cage all day today....

good luck!

4 is nothing, got 1 almost done raising chicks and 9 more broody with more deciding they want in on the fun, I am in broody nightmare with only 2 cages to break in and not enough brooding boxes as out of 17 hens only have 3 even laying anymore cause they all want to community brood they aren't laying

apparently missed putting cage up in the air so gonna try that will be 2 by 2 though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom