The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Can anyone identify this plant for me? I think they are seeds that someone on here sent me but I can't remember the name.

Thanks !!

well mystery why my older hens started laying small eggs like when they fist started figured out. Went out this morning to check the live trap, we had caught 2 cats in it this week, and found a skunk in it, eggs next day are back to normal size after a month of tiny ones

well mystery why my older hens started laying small eggs like when they fist started figured out. Went out this morning to check the live trap, we had caught 2 cats in it this week, and found a skunk in it, eggs next day are back to normal size after a month of tiny ones

@slordaz
I would never have thought that could cause smaller eggs! So glad you posted that!

For some reason, I unsubscribed from this accidentally after I found this thread a few months ago, so I am back. I am currently writing an essential oils and chickens document, and i will post it here after I publish it in the articles section.

For some reason, I unsubscribed from this accidentally after I found this thread a few months ago, so I am back. I am currently writing an essential oils and chickens document, and i will post it here after I publish it in the articles section.

I will be very eager to see that article!! In case it's helpful, I had some good results with neem oil for a minor mite infestation last year.

I will be very eager to see that article!! In case it's helpful, I had some good results with neem oil for a minor mite infestation last year.
Awesome! Where does Neem oil come from? I have never heard of it. I wrote what my top ten most used oils were and how I used them. Once I publish the article, I would love it if you would comment with how you used Neem oil!

Awesome! Where does Neem oil come from? I have never heard of it. I wrote what my top ten most used oils were and how I used them. Once I publish the article, I would love it if you would comment with how you used Neem oil!

I will definitely comment on the article. Neem oil comes from the neem tree, I think, and is an ayurvedic oil. People also use the leaves for tea. It is apparently an anti-viral, and it interferes with mites' reproductive systems but does not affect bees, butterflies, or other insects and pollinators. At least, this is what I read.

I will definitely comment on the article. Neem oil comes from the neem tree, I think, and is an ayurvedic oil. People also use the leaves for tea. It is apparently an anti-viral, and it interferes with mites' reproductive systems but does not affect bees, butterflies, or other insects and pollinators. At least, this is what I read.
Well, that is interesting and good to know! I wonder if it would help control lice...where can you buy it? I am currently dealing with a lice outbreak and wood ash and DE just isn't cutting' it!

As I understand it, you would only use neem oil on the roosts, wall crevices, etc. But not on the bird itself. The idea is to have an oil that saturates the eggs the mites leave in the crevices to suffocate them so they can't hatch. You should NOT apply it to your birds or yourself.

@armorfirelady used some Neem in her coop I believe when she had a mite infestation. She might want to comment here.

Neem is a very strong-smelling oil and is not pleasant to have even in the coop. Since it's used to suffocate the eggs, there are other "not-so-strong" oils I would use instead. I use various oils on roost crevices, where they meet the walls, wall seams, etc. Even something quite as simple as olive oil in a sprayer will do the trick without the strong irritation that may affect the bird's respiratory system.

You have to be especially careful with strong smelling substances - even some EO's - as they can be deadly to birds.

Back
Top Bottom