The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

@mlowen
  Hey!  Good to "see" you!

@JanetMarie

You 2 are inspiring me....I want to learn how to tap :)

Thanks. I drop in every few days, but not much to say. Down to 7 hens, but they are all well & happy. We will all be glad when ground is bare!
All I know about tapping I learned from the interwebs. There is a Maine association of maple tappers that had great information. You can tap birch trees, too. I've gotten about 2 gallons, total. Learned a bunch. Next year will do things a bit differently. Got the bucket, tap, and lid from Blue Seal Feeds & Seeds.

Here's a question for y'all.

I have one little Swedish Flower Hen that seems to have a problem. She....smells.
ep.gif

Seriously, if I have to pick this girl up for something I always notice that she is stinky. (Seems like a manure-related smell.)

At first I thought it was because they've been inside a lot during the winter and I haven't fed soaked or fermented feed on a regular basis lately - mostly dry but the same feed which I've made at home with mostly organic grains, etc.

But I've realized that when I pick up other birds, none of the others are stinky.

So...
I'm thinking there may be something wrong with this particular bird. This is the bird that I call "Cranky" because she is a biter - which I've never experienced before.. She's the one that will stand right up and give me a tongue lashing to my face, or seek me out to bite whatever she can reach (like a hand, leg, etc.) when I'm totally not in her face, just going about whatever I need to do.

Because she had that personality, and she comes near me anytime I'm in there, I can pick her right up with no chase. (Of course I have to be careful she can't reach my hands once I have her or she'll bite.) I've often picked her up and carried her with me to keep her out of my way actually.

I've begun to wonder if the cranky personality may be because of some underlying pain or something now that I know she's stinky.

I am thinking of bringing her in for an epsom salt soak to see if that cleans up things but I will wait until the weather is going to be near 70 before that and wear armor while she'd in the bucket since she likes to bite.

But just wondering:
Have any of you had a stinky bird before? If so, did you figure out the cause?

Edited to add a photo of Cranky and to state that she is under a year old - hatched approximately the beginning of May 2016.

@oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:
Some of my birds smell more poopy than others, most are older hens, but they generally have a soiled bottom as well.

I do know in dogs often when there's an underlying internal problem their breath becomes stinky. It isn't always the teeth in old dogs that stinks. And when I had ovarian cancer my one dog would obsessively smell my breath, so there's something to how something smells as an indicator of health.

Unfortunately you can't buy antibiotics over the counter anymore. It would be interesting to see if she responded to a course of them, though which type to choose would be hard. I know not feeling well can bring out bad behaviors in animals.

I unfortunately know of no natural cleansers for chickens, though I believe I've read about garlic being used in some form. It also might be a situation where I might try some probiotics. I would probably try so kefir to see if it helps get her more in balance.

She looks good in her picture. I'm sure chickens are like people where they get allergies and digestive upsets from stuff that can make them cranky.

I think I could do a cleanse...I do have a protocol that works well for gleet (never had it in my birds but worked for others I've recommended to). That same protocol would likely work in this instance as well, but I want to know it's necessary before doing it. She doesn't act sick and is laying. She's just stinky and I agree that it is often something internal.

I guess once I get her in a bucket (which I'm sure will be an interesting endeavor with this bird) I'll be able to give her a more thorough look-over than I have. I want to have a second person around so that they can hold her in such a way that I'm not dodging her biting and can do a good exam.

We've been getting a house ready to sell so we've been out evenings and weekends for quite some time. I think that is going to be settled in the next 2-3 weeks and we'll have more time when we're both available to do some investigating and cleaning up.

I have been forced down to only 2 chickens. I really want faverolles, but have heard mixed results on their laying. Also what other breed do you recommend. Looking for eggs and friendliness.

I think I could do a cleanse...I do have a protocol that works well for gleet (never had it in my birds but worked for others I've recommended to). That same protocol would likely work in this instance as well, but I want to know it's necessary before doing it. She doesn't act sick and is laying. She's just stinky and I agree that it is often something internal.

I guess once I get her in a bucket (which I'm sure will be an interesting endeavor with this bird) I'll be able to give her a more thorough look-over than I have. I want to have a second person around so that they can hold her in such a way that I'm not dodging her biting and can do a good exam.

We've been getting a house ready to sell so we've been out evenings and weekends for quite some time. I think that is going to be settled in the next 2-3 weeks and we'll have more time when we're both available to do some investigating and cleaning up.
Perhaps you could design a chicken muzzle!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom