The neighbors dog

Some areas don't have animal control, but even in those areas you're still better off calling, filing a report, and getting it on record. A paper trail is good to have - in case the dog owner tries to take legal action, or the dog owner tries to take physical action, or the dog owner just continues to be irresponsible. Most states require that a report be filed if you're going to try to use livestock-killing as a defense in court case. If there are multiple reports - you start getting into criminal charges, and then the problems go away.

When irresponsible dog owners dogs disappear, they just get more dogs. There's no shortage of cheap/free dogs in the US.

What I meant by the stray comment is that there are significantly different social implications to shooting a feral/unowned dog than their are to shooting your neighbor's dog. The only people most of the SSS'ers are fooling are themselves - if you're not on thousands of acres its pretty easy to tell who shot a neighborhood dog.

Well, the dog was back today while I was grocery shopping. My daughter called me upset because he had gotten in our fenced backyard and attacked the girls again. Only got ahold of one, but we have tons of missing and broken feathers, and blood. It looks to me, that the wound isn't real bad. I think the blood is from where feathers are broken off. Gonna try some neosporin.

Discussions on here can get heated about dogs and what to do if they invade your space.

I will simply state that as the owner of chickens I feel it is my responsibility to control outside animals access to them. Whether it is a dog, cat, hawk, skunk, raccoon, or any other animal I do not want near them.

Mine are confined unless I can be in the yard with them. No stepping in the house to grab the phone, go to the bathroom, start dinner or anything else.

As difficult as it is to keep them under lock and key I feel it is necessary.

The predator keeps coming back and that means upping your protection measures.
I agree with Centrarchid electric poultry netting.

I did not read every post in detail but I gather the dog has not yet bitten any human on your property? That is lucky.

When irresponsible dog owners dogs disappear, they just get more dogs. There's no shortage of cheap/free dogs in the US.
Sad but true.

Glad I live in a rural area!

Our property is fenced, the hens are locked up at night. They have occasionally run through the fence and dogs have killed them. That's my fault.

We had a dog come onto our property once. We took it home, along with some home made goodies, had a nice conversation, and said "you know, if your dog gets on our property again and is after the chickens (or the horses or the sheep), I'll shoot it." The neighbors agreed that was reasonable. Fortunately, we have never had another incident. I suspect if you are NOT in a rural area, the gun approach might not be appropriate, but even using a beebee gun might get the point across to the dog. I would absolutely put in some electrified fencing around your hens - most dogs are quite respectful of being shocked.

The downside of calling the pound, law enforcement, etc. is that the dog will simply be released back to the owner who is NOT taking the care to restrain their dog, and he'll be back.

Actually depends on state laws. Here in Ohio we are lucky enough to have law stating that any dog chasing, harassing, or harming livestock is a target. Owner can do nothing in court to retaliate. Owner is automatically responsible for all damages. So here, I'd report and dirt nap the attacker. Problem is eliminated and authorities can go after the owner for failure to control, etc.
Is that for the whole state of Ohio? I live in Trumbull county, in the sticks. I just had a pack of dogs come through today and terrorize my birds. I thought for sure my roo was dead. There were feathers everywhere! I was livid. This would be the second roo lost to those darn dogs. My roo did a good job and lured the dogs away from his hens. He has much less of a tail now but he is alive. Thankfully he has no injuries that i could find.

Last edited:
Yes that is Ohio law (Ohio Revised Code), applies everywhere in the state.

955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

(B) The owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog, unless the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time, was committing or attempting to commit criminal trespass or another criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer, or was committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor against any person, or was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog on the owner's, keeper's, or harborer's property. Additionally, the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog if the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time of the injury, death, or loss, was on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer solely for the purpose of engaging in door-to-door sales or other solicitations regardless of whether the individual was in compliance with any requirement to obtain a permit or license to engage in door-to-door sales or other solicitations established by the political subdivision in which the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer is located, provided that the person was not committing a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog.

Effective Date: 07-10-1987; 2008 HB71 09-30-2008

As you can see from the law above, any dog that basically looks cross-eyed at livestock is a target. The only exception is when this behavior is directed at other dogs or at cats; then it is just dogs being dogs.

To anyone else reading this, I'm not a dog hater; I've had plenty of dogs. What I hate is people who fail to take responsibility for their pets. I've been forced to deal with strays as well as a feral dog pack. It is NOT fun, it is NOT enjoyable, it is simply something that must be done. I do indeed love dogs but I value my family and my livestock more.

Is that for the whole state of Ohio? I live in Trumbull county, in the sticks. I just had a pack of dogs come through today and terrorize my birds. I thought for sure my roo was dead. There were feathers everywhere! I was livid. This would be the second roo lost to those darn dogs. My roo did a good job and lured the dogs away from his hens. He has much less of a tail now but he is alive. Thankfully he has no injuries that i could find.

I'm on board w/ a call to animal control... to give you an example of their power... many years ago my family went on vacation and left a good friend of my son's in charge of our pets. Of course, given my luck, our shy dog got away from him and he being hesitant to inform us, the dog ran the neighborhood for a full day before being captured by AC. When we got home and got the tearful story from our young caretaker, my first call was to the police/ Ac. They cheerfully gave the dog back to us along w/ a misdemeanor ticket that could not be waived. So I go to court on the appointed morning hoping that it will go fast and I can be back to work before 10am... after sitting thru about 5 hrs of traffic, marijuana possession, and domestic violence I finally got my turn. Let me say that I have an almost sterling record w/ only a few speeding citations so this was my very first time in court... I got the largest fine that was levied that morning and I was the last case heard. With court costs, I paid just over $400.00 cash for an accidentally loose dog who caused no complaints or damage while on the lamb.

Quote: Just a comment here - as someone mentioned shooting it with a BB gun to scare it off - that will most likely get you an animal cruelty charge - and the above won't help you. Don't discharge a weapon at an animal you're not intending to kill, and don't fire a weapon at an animal with insufficient power to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom