The Never-ending Battle ( A Long Story )

DyingPhoenix

Songster
May 12, 2016
Dewitt, IL
I just want to share my on-going story with folks that will understand.

I'm in a war.

And as you can guess, it seems as if it's far from over! Let me start with some backstory: I bought my first house a year and a half ago. It was also in the country and butted up to the woods, always wanted chickens so I immediately set to building a coop and 'fort knoxed' it as well as the run. Started with 18 pullets and they grew into beautiful, tame pets. I work two jobs to make it on my own and one night I was exhausted from working both and forgot to close the door to the coop. Woke up at 3 am to screaming. 15 dead in one night to a mink. Shot the mink because it was still in the coop trying to kill the last 3. It squeezed into a tiny gap in the run that seemingly only a mouse could fit in. I was gutted over it. All my favorites were dead. I told myself I would keep my chickens SAFE, no matter what.

I put out game cams. The amount of raccoons I see on it is alarming to say the least, but my run is coon proof. They try to get in every single night without fail.

Fast forward. I got more chicks. 3 adults left plus 23 new ones. My new chicks are starting to free range when I'm home, as they are old enough. One day this spring, one adult disappeared. Then a pullet. Then another. This is in the middle of the day, with me home and in and out of the house doing yardwork. Then one day I walked inside to get a drink and happened to glance out the window and out by the compost pile I see a raccoon at noon in the wide open walking around. I shot it.

The next day I keep a closer eye. I see another one by the compost pile ( I had just dumped used shavings from an old coop in the pile ) at around 2pm. Shot it too. I ended up seeing them numerous times. Sometimes they'd even see me come out with the gun and they'd look, then resume digging or waddling around.

Now, the coons are dumping my potted plants, chewing my feed bins until the lids barely fit right and I'm finding their seedy, gross piles of poop all over, especially around the coop. I'm sure they're feeding their babies and desperate. But I'm fed up and I have a feeling that's what's taking my chickens at all times of the day.

Had no idea what I was gonna get into.

I caught a few in cage traps but game cams told me they were trap shy. If they couldn't reach in to take the bait, or roll the trap to eat the bait, they left it completely alone. I bought the dogproof traps and they worked great. So great, in fact, I've been catching them nonstop, every single night, for almost a month and a half! I don't even look out the window to check and see if anything's in the traps. Grabbing the gun when I go out to open the coop door is a normal routine now.

I lost count in the late 20's. I'm sure it's well into the 30's or possibly more. The bodies are piled so high in the back of my property in the woods, people are going to think I'm a serial killer hiding people! I think I'm becoming twisted, lol, as a big majority of the ones I catch are obviously feeding young, I just think-Good, less .22 rounds I have to use!

The only thing I can think of, is I have a close neighbor who's wife was a cat lover. She had about 20 feral cats they fed religiously. I saw at least 10 bowls of feed lined up on their porch. Well, she left him and he has cut off all the cat food. She took most of the cats away that they could catch. He is feeding one cat now, and she comes to me most of the time and eats here.

The coon feeding factory has closed it's doors and now all the rest of us are suffering.

My other neighbor down the road has lived here for 5 years with no top on his chicken run ( he has dogs ) and has had no losses. He lost all his laying hens this spring and has killed 8 raccoons last time I talked to him. He just sits in his yard in the evenings and shoots them with a shotgun.

This morning I had the usual coon. Second trap would have had me a double but there was dirt stuck in the trigger mechanism and the bait was gone so they got a free meal of marshmallows. I'll get that one tomorrow I'm sure.

Have any of you had to deal with pests of this scale before? Please share!

Also mind the mess in some of the pictures. The edge of the property butting up to the woods is still littered with the old owners trash and it's taken a long time to get it picked up but I'm still working on it. They basically had a junkyard.

The battle continues...

Attachments

• 0622170701.jpg
    0622170701.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 0622170702.jpg
    0622170702.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 0623170724.jpg
    0623170724.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0627170740.jpg
    0627170740.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0629170732.jpg
    0629170732.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I lost count in the late 20's. I'm sure it's well into the 30's or possibly more. The bodies are piled so high in the back of my property in the woods, people are going to think I'm a serial killer hiding people! I think I'm becoming twisted, lol, as a big majority of the ones I catch are obviously feeding young, I just think-Good, less .22 rounds I have to use!

This bit made me burst out laughing! I was in bed at time lol I would love to see that picture

You are well within the realm of where a electrified poultry netting is justified for a single type of predator. Raccoons taking chickens during the day would be extremely unusual to say the least so you may still have another player. Owing to the number of raccoons you report, I doubt if the neighbor that fed them was the sole source of food. Another source is still around as the number of birds you lost would not support that many raccoons. Find the other source and try the poultry netting.

Lol thanks guys.

I'm in the process of setting up hot wires around my newest pens. They can't get into my first run. The mink was the only thing that could get in, because of a small gap in some of the wire. There's literally no way a coon can do it. I've seen them try countless times on camera though. The other runs are too large to cover in hardware cloth like I did the first so I'm bringing in electric fencing for that setup.

I'm not sure what else it could have been during the day. If I see them foraging in the wide open during the day, I'm sure they would be willing to take a chicken. Problem is, my hens like to pick around the edges of the woods so it'd be easy for something to snatch and get away quickly without a trace. I don't think I'll ever know for sure but game cams over my property only show raccoons and the occasional opossum. There's some huuuuuge raccoons. People hunt the coyotes hard around here and I've yet to see a fox on cam or while in the deer stand. Of course it doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I'll remain vigilant! The traps are set yet again tonight. Maybe I should start roasting these trash pandas up for community potlucks. I hear they're good in the slow cooker. :lau

In my experience with free-range raccoons as pets while keeping free-range chickens, the raccoons most certainly would like to catch a chicken during the day. But the raccoons lack the speed or mentality needed to grapple a relatively fast / evasive prey item. The raccoon can catch a broody hen or any bird hunkered down in the grass but so long as the chicken stays out in the open with the ability to move freely the raccoon can only put on a clumsy chase. When the raccoon can corner a chicken in high weeds or the like, it is messy. You will not think a chicken was taken with no sign left.

If you had 50 raccoons running about leaving the chickens not place to go then the chickens might be on more trouble during the day.

Thanks for the insight! Sometimes they go in the woods but I try to keep them out of there. It's really dense and brushy right now and full of briars so thick you can't see.

Here's this morning's specimen. A good sized male that was very happy to see me. Don't we all wish we could have one of those? :clap

Attachments

• 0630170655-1.jpg
    0630170655-1.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 13
You need to find out why so many raccoons are present. Animals shown appear to be in very good health. One person providing cat food would not do that. Are you near a commercial turkey or chicken operation, or a fish farm?

Nope. I'm butted up against thousands of acres of public forest with hiking trails and a lake and right in the middle of crop central. Beans and corn everywhere. My neighbor has horses, anyone else on my road has no animals spare for house pets. I have a creek about a quarter of a mile into the woods from me. That's it.

Maybe there's a crazy coon lady around feeding them nonstop? I don't know!

Maybe people catch and release them near here? I wondered if the animals were trap shy for a reason. There's public parking/fishing and a canoe access about a mile away up the creek.

Nope. I'm butted up against thousands of acres of public forest with hiking trails and a lake and right in the middle of crop central. Beans and corn everywhere. My neighbor has horses, anyone else on my road has no animals spare for house pets. I have a creek about a quarter of a mile into the woods from me. That's it.

Maybe there's a crazy coon lady around feeding them nonstop? I don't know!

Maybe people catch and release them near here? I wondered if the animals were trap shy for a reason. There's public parking/fishing and a canoe access about a mile away up the creek.

Corn fields, horses being grained, and water ways provide resources they need. Since you are culling a lot of wild animals (public property) in defence of a small / non-commercial flock, I would shift emphasis over to repelling rather than killing. Current situation appears to have your property as being little more than a trap for a population that causes only you problems.

Back
Top Bottom