The Never Ending Broody

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
Hey Guys,

My silkie's been going for almost 4 weeks now... at first I thought she'd break herself after 21 days, but that doesn't seem to be the case. She's stuck in broody mode.

* She gets thrown off the nest at least twice daily for her morning and evening constitutionals.
* On days that I am home later or the others have finished laying, I completely block off the coop so she has no nest box access until the evening.
* I check her regularly for pests and aside from some weight loss and feather neglect, her condition is still good... all things considered. Eating, pooping and activity level is broody normal.
* I also make sure she's perched when closing up for the night.

I know silkies are the queens of all things broody, but this is a bit much. Should I be worried? At some points when I'm free-ranging the girls, I almost think she's 'chickening' again, but then she makes a run for the run or starts 'ticking' and I know it's not to be. She's still a pullet and this is her second bought of broodiness (first one broke in 3 days).

It's winter here as well.... with temps anywhere between 5-17C. It seems like she favors going broody during cold snaps so far though I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Anything that might help to break my bitty?

My CoChin and bantamm Brahma did that too, until I dispenced with the fake eggs in the next Boxes. That quickly resolv'd them.

Back
Top Bottom