The new A-Frame Coop, generation 2.0! **The NEW PICS are Here!! **

O.Wendell Douglas :

Loving the A-frame design. We're likewise using an old playground framework, though ours is a little more of a....salvage operation. It's my first day on the forum, but when I can figure it out, I'll get up some pictures of ours, too. Thanks for sharing!

welcome-byc.gif
this is a great place to get Wonderful ideas.....
pop.gif
caf.gif

I have put the youngsters in an intermediate coop that was redone and spruced up by my cousin. I have the before and after pics as well as a pic of the residents.
44703_233.jpg

44703_236.jpg

44703_chickens_in_april_012.jpg

44703_chickens_in_april_010.jpg

44703_chickens_in_april_017.jpg

44703_chickens_in_april_015.jpg

They really like it quite a lot!

I will update this thread tonight as I am completing more of the A-Frame today. Hopefully we will get the nestboxes in and the roof/walls on. Probably will put roosts up as well. The run will need to wait another day.
sad.png

Last edited:
What better time to do some coop building than a family get together for 4 birthdays in a week (my cousin, grandaughter, wife and SIL). Sounds dangerous, I know! Here are the men doing all the coop building and the ladies watching Lifetime TV. Got some stuff accomplished, though, and here it is...
44703_april_coop_build_001.jpg

My nephew Wyatt zip tying the hardware cloth to close the seam on the center flooring
44703_april_coop_build_005.jpg

He and his dad, my brother Eric, who is flexing his mugging muscles
lol.png

44703_april_coop_build_002.jpg

Here is my favorite craftsman, my cousin Ken
clap.gif

44703_april_coop_build_004.jpg

Ken and his brother TJ arguing over who looks better holding a board
barnie.gif

44703_april_coop_build_003.jpg

All in one pic... how'd that happen?
44703_april_coop_build_006.jpg

The end of today's work. We got 1/2 a roof with a skylight done, and tacked down the center flooring of hardware cloth to secure the seams from predators.

All in all, not a great deal done but a fun day with progress for the birds. The only downer was the torn bicep I suffered trying to out muscle a 4'x8' piece of 3/4" plywood over my head. That's why you don't see me in the pics; I'm not building anything today. I'll let you know more about the injury as I have time to get it checked at work. Luckily I am a physical therapist and work with several physicians!

Last edited:
I am getting set to do more with the A-Frame. Finish the roof, add the nest boxes, hang the backside and end panels. My foreman has a grand idea of 24 nest boxes, but I really only need 6-8 so I have to find a diplomatic way to broach this to him, as he was quite excited about it. Will post all of the new progress in pics ASAP after completion!
caf.gif
pop.gif

I (I mean WE) did quite a bit on the coop yesterday, but I was too pooped to post last night! I have several pics of the progress, but I most of all love the ladder from coop to ground. It holds a 200 lb. adult! Anyway, on with the pics...
Here are Ken and Eric laying out the 2"x4"x16' roof and run rafters
44703_coop_build_41011_001.jpg

My son Hank and nephew Wyatt out helping as needed
44703_coop_build_41011_002.jpg

The AWESOME ladder!! They made this while I was on a supply run to Lowe's
44703_coop_build_41011_003.jpg

The profile, as rafters are on and roof going on as well
44703_coop_build_41011_006.jpg

Here are the 4"x4"x6' posts in the ground and tied together with a 2"x6"x12' header
44703_coop_build_41011_007.jpg

A front view of posts, rafters and roof
44703_coop_build_41011_008.jpg

This is Ken, roosting on the roof. He is getting a rooster's eye view
44703_coop_build_41011_011.jpg

Here is a pic from a distance back, as I would look out from my front door
44703_coop_build_41011_014.jpg

A final view to gauge size, the coop is 12' wide in front and about 20' from end to end on this pic

Quite a lot of work but we had many hands to help. I wanted the sides up but we did end with a nest box that has 6 nests, rather large but cozy. I didn't get a pic of those but will very soon. My birds are 7 weeks and gi-normous!! Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Thanks noymira and perchie.girl ! I kinda likey a lot too! It definitely has morphed into something I didn't have in mind. It should house about 20 birds as well so I have enough space in run and coop, though the coop may be a bit cozy but the outside run is over sized at 240 sq ft, with most of it covered!

Back
Top Bottom