The New Coop and Run - UPDATED with Finished Pix

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
A few weeks ago, I lost my favorite hen to a Cooper's Hawk. She was not the first, but by god, she is going to be the last. I have free ranged for several years, and am having to curtail the time out. Sooooooooo...we are building a new coop and run. I only have 11 birds now (because the GD cooper's hawk took down so many), but I like to keep around 18-20. I really, really love my chickens.

I had a large, open shed we built a few years ago for storing wood, hay, and a buggy. Half of that is now devoted to the new coop. It already has electricity, we are putting in a floor and a front. This is Day 3 of construction.

And this is the run - 20' x 28' - my contractor friend likes to do things sturdy (yes, those are 6x6's). I suspect if a hurricane hits, we are leaving the house and coming out to the run.... By the time we are done, it will have a lovely red metal roof (all of our buildings have the same roof, I like things consistent) and be floor to ceiling hardware cloth with a two foot apron.

Last edited:
That looks really sturdy! I have a whole new appreciation for large lumber now with chickens.
thumbsup.gif

Looks really good but I would wrap it with 2x? Welded wire instead of hardware cloth. Much cheaper and just as effective especially with a two foot apron

Those are going to be some spolied chooks, looks great! Built just like a pole barn.

Are you concerned with water shed or snow load? Thats an offely big area to have as a flat metal roof.

Looks very well constructed for sure! But with a metal roof over all will your hens get enough needed sunlight? You could put 2 x 4 welded wire over half of the top this shouldn't collect snow and would be hawk-proof. running a couple of poles above the roof line with insulators in the ends and adding a small fence controler would deter hawks & owls from harrassing your hens even while in the pen , (2 insulators set next to each other with a bare wire across them would give the hawk the shock of his life!...... Been there done that!) Also adding a line of electric wire along the top edge of you cage will prevent coon & possum from climbing up to the top.

In my part of North Carolina we rarely get more than 1 or 2 inches of snow; and the roof is not actually flat, it has...I'd estimate...about a 12" drop from the center beam to the edges.

Because of the extreme heat here (well, to me 98 is extreme), I keep the coop in the woods for shade - so there is not much direct sun available - it is a concern. But I am trading off the dry run and shade for sunlight. Haven't gotten the roof on yet, so dont know how dark it will really be.

New coop finished and flock moved in - I had 4 hens who did not understand the new run opened into a new coop, and they were frantically trying to get to the old coop last night. Picked each one up and carried into the coop so they got the idea.

The full monty (from the horse paddock)

Roosting Station - I don't think they need the ladder, but they like it. Sand under the roosts makes for quick daily cleanup

Nesting Station - My big girls like the big boxes, the smaller birds like the little boxes

Tool Station - I like to have my things organized and available

Garden Station - I am growing some wheat grass for them

Play Station - some hay and a sand box (not filled yet). On the left is a little coop I use when my chicks first move to the Big House

Observation Station - perhaps the most important part, where I can sit and enjoy my flock

The flock is enjoying the digging and dust bathing

Roosting Al Fresco

Very nice! Love the size and the best part is, they are safe. We also had to stop free ranging because of predators. Are you going
to add sand to the run?

Back
Top Bottom