Pics
Forrest is a hoot! Thanks! I have a scary story to tell today and you can see all the young gang in it. Sorry about the sniffing...this weather is up and down and all around. I'm not sick, but my sinuses are not thrilled. @oldhenlikesdogs you might like seeing these, especially, at the beginning and at the end.

Last edited:
That was scary. I know when chickens get frightened the can voluntarily release feathers so the predators end up with just feathers. I'm glad Bee is okay, and that you found her.

I love seeing your bare ground. We are covered in snow. Sounds like you are gonna be too. You roosters are very handsome. Love all the crowing even if half of it isn't quite a crow :)

I think it's going to be hardly more than flurries, Lisa. So far, two storms have fizzled out badly, which is fine by me. It was almost 60* today, high tomorrow low 40's and snow, then not sure what Saturday night will be, but either that night or Sunday will be mid teens, which isn't anything like you or I have experienced in the past, but for my ancient birds, to go from this high to that low in two days or less is really hard on them. Poor June is 14 and my Belgian D'Anver rooster is about to turn 11 years old, plus others with arthritis like Dru and Atlas really get stiff. Even Hector worries me because he sleeps on the floor, can't jump anymore to get up higher.

Those rapid temperature shifts can be hard on all critters. They don't acclimate, they just get through them, hopefully without too much stress.

Mine are used to freezing their butts off. That's all they know currently. 60 degrees sounds lovely. We just had -20 for nighttime temperatures with even colder wind chills. No problem for us here, although I'm getting tired of winter already.

Those rapid temperature shifts can be hard on all critters. They don't acclimate, they just get through them, hopefully without too much stress.

Mine are used to freezing their butts off. That's all they know currently. 60 degrees sounds lovely. We just had -20 for nighttime temperatures with even colder wind chills. No problem for us here, although I'm getting tired of winter already.
Our temps have been mostly too warm all fall and winter with these sudden short dips. It's hard on us, too. I wish it would just stay winter or stay warm, but I don't get to choose. I just hope the oldsters survive another winter. I think I will lose June this winter. She is getting very stiff now, spends more time sitting than normal, but I guess when you're Grandma Moses, that is bound to happen. She's outlived several different pens of companions so that's why she is living with the last two Belgian D'anvers.

Back
Top Bottom