The New Man in My Life

Courts Clucks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Richards, MO
This handsome boy was given to me by a gentleman that had bought 3 pairs of peas for his wife. This boy's mate just "up and died" one day and he is supposedly a car hopper (they just got a new car). So now I have a peacock. The couple really didn't know much about peas and got swindled it seems. They were misinformed on the colors and patterns they had purchased and the peas had tight zip ties on their poor legs. My boy was an angel for me when I had to cut that tie off bc it was embedding. He is really calm and will let me pick him up. Now to get him a name and a girlfriend.
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
, in particular, the Land of Peas!

Your new fellow is very beautiful!
We will all look forward to seeing more pictures of him as he settles into his new home.

*Edited to add: If you are looking for a girlfriend for your fellow, you are extremely lucky to be near two very highly regarded peafowl breeders: Conner Hills Farm and Legg's Peafowl Farm.
For more info, see: http://www.peafowl.org/breeders.htm#mo

Please let us know if you have pea questions, and in case you haven't seen them, the stickies have a lot of very useful information:

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

Last edited:
Thanks! I have been reading through the peafowl section of BYC for a year. I am not a girl that jumps into things unprepared. I am sponge. So everyone, keep telling me what you know! I love to read through the threads and learn from others. Might even have to work on getting some Thang genetics to my corner of MO!
big_smile.png

Ooh what a pretty pied peacock! I love the pieds! I can see in the photo the zip tie you were talking about. Yikes it does look like it was on tight. He must feel so much better to have it off! So what kind of girlfriend do you think you might try and get for him? When breeding pieds you can get a pied peahen for him, or a white peahen for him. If you get a pied peahen for him, their chicks can be white, dark pied (split to pied), or pied. If you get him a white peahen their chicks can be white or pied if I am correct. He looks like he is around 1 or 2 years old.

New 2 pfowl is right, you are in a great location. Legg's Peafowl Farm is the largest peafowl breeder and many people wish they could live so close to them because you have access to just about all the varieties of peafowl.

He should be turning 2 this spring. We will probably get a pied hen for him. My husband (who has been anti-peacock) took one look at him and is in love now. Thinks he is the neatest looking bird ever and is trying to give him a cowboy name. I had already planned on taking a trip up to Legg's with some warmer weather and now I have a purpose. He is such a good boy. I couldn't ask for a better first pea.

He is beautiful, you're both lucky. Did you remember to mention to the people you got him from the too tight tie wrap on his leg? They may be unaware of the problem and theris probably still have them. Good luck with you new man.

I said something to them about the zip tie and they said it is how they tell the males from females. I mentioned that they are now old enough that you don't need those but if they want a band, I will find some that fit and we can switch them out.

He's gorgeous! I really love the pieds... I would let the husband choose a name. that would probably make him feel included and draw him more into the world of peafowl
wink.png

Congratulations!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom