the new run addition pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nightshade, Sep 19, 2011.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay okay so the pics are from Labor day weekend but with all the flooding in our area this is the first that I have gotten near a computer since then. I hope you can see everything okay. This added a 8x24ft area to our outside run off the back of the coop. It was really easy to put together and cost about $100 bucks. The thing I thought was the most expensive was the 6 inch lag screws that was used to tie the landscape timbers together. Okay anyways here are some step by step pics
    framing it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Codey helping putting wire on the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hubby and I putting wire on the sides
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A shot to show the lenght
    [​IMG]

and the width
    [​IMG]

The girls and scoveys check out their new space
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This gives us a huge outdoor run space all under wire roof it is 24 wide and 16 deep in most areas. Next summer I can coming out from this section another 16 the full width and adding a 16x24 section on the end out around the trees and our seating area. So by next fall if all goes as planned it will be really huge!

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Very nice set up. HUGE absolutely HUGE run you have there. I can see they are very healthy and look rather pleased to have trained you so well. [​IMG]

3. nightshade

yeah I think all our animals would agree that they have me trained well lol [​IMG]

4. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    very nice

6. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    It's lovely. Thank you for taking such good care of your chickens. I have one thought, though, which may not be a problem for you. We have foxes and raccoons here, so put a wire skirt around the bottom of the fence. We used chicken wire which, combined with the fencing, seemed adequate. We ran it two to three feet up the fence on the inside, threaded it under the fence to the outside (about a foot of skirt), and staked the outside bit down. Then we covered the outside bit with gravel. Anyone who thinks they can dig their way in through the gravel will hit wire. Bok.

7. nightshade

I don't have those problems with predators you can not see it but just next to the coop is a walker coon hound that is the chicken guard, she is helpless to the point where in the winter she sleeps in the snow and our outside chickens sleep in her coop. Then on the other side of the chicken coop is another 5 coon hounds in kennels. The Bear does not even bother my feed anymore. lol [​IMG]

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Good job [​IMG] wish I had that kind of room!!

9. nightshade

Thanks it has been two years getting it this far and this summer I finally got my chickens in it. This moving and starting over crap is not something I ever want to do again. And with that thought we have decided to really go all out and take our time with each project now. Instead of rushing to get things done and then coming back and trying to fix things later or regretting how we didn't make this a little bigger or add things to make it easier to clean or more convent to feed ect..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by