the Newb's Pre-Laying Questions

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
I got my chicks in May, they all seem to be females, have lovely shiny feathers, their combs grew over the last 2 months. I feed chick starter, a handful of birdseed (about a cup) in the morning (scattered, for entertainment purposes), and in the evening I generally make a bowl of mush from the feed, perhaps throwing a few mealworms out.
They are barred Rocks (2) Ameraucanas(2) and RIR(1)

Should I start feeding oyster shell now?
How big should the nestbox be? (I need to get one soon)
I looked at a grey plastic stacking shelf that costs about as much as a premade at the feed store.
The coop is open-air, I think I need a roof on the box?

And I apologize for asking this, knowing the answers are on BYC, in my defense, I am glad I remembered all of them at the same time, Life has been off the tracks and steadily chugging along off-road.

I got my chicks in May, they all seem to be females, have lovely shiny feathers, their combs grew over the last 2 months. I feed chick starter, a handful of birdseed (about a cup) in the morning (scattered, for entertainment purposes), and in the evening I generally make a bowl of mush from the feed, perhaps throwing a few mealworms out.
They are barred Rocks (2) Ameraucanas(2) and RIR(1)

I looked at a grey plastic stacking shelf that costs about as much as a premade at the feed store.
The coop is open-air, I think I need a roof on the box?

And I apologize for asking this, knowing the answers are on BYC, in my defense, I am glad I remembered all of them at the same time, Life has been off the tracks and steadily chugging along off-road.
Over the years of having hens of multiple ages in my flock, I have always just crumbled up some egg shell and mixed it into their feed and allowed them to decide when they needed it. Chickens actually have the ability to adjust their own calcium intake when given a choice.

I think the standard size for a nesting box is around 12x12. Mine are 14x16 due to spacing and where they are located. I'd definitely go with covered with an open air coop. With that said, I've seen people use all kinds of clever things for nesting boxes. Old dresser drawers, 5 gallon buckets, baskets, hanging planters, etc. and their chickens seem to love them. I see no reason why a shelving unit wouldn't work.

I don't have any eggshells saved up, unfortunately. We do not eat that many eggs (I know, I know! 😅 )
I have seen those monster nest box things on Craigslist, but having 6 boxes for 5 birds seems - overkill.
Over kill NOW...but, you know how we all get obsessed with adding to our flocks. Just 2 more chickens and then that's it!! 😂

You only need 2 boxes (and they'll probably only use one -- but which one may change from day to day). Milk crates and covered cat boxes are popular for people who don't want to build a wooden one. I'd get the boxes in ASAP because my May chicks are laying already. Put some golf balls in the nests to help them get the idea.

I feed oystershell in a separate container. You can make a small-flock sized one like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/feeders-and-scoops-from-recycled-bottles.76244/ Offer it now, but expected them to just taste it and ignore it until they're ready.

Standard nests are between 12x12 (fine for Leghorns, tight for larger birds), and 16x16 (suitable for even Brahmas and Jersey Giants).

A slanted board over top of the nests prevents roosting:

0819211107-jpg.3012651

I'd offer it on the side, not mixed with their feed. The ones that need it seem to know it, the rest won;t eat enough to harm themselves.

The common recommendation on here is a minimum of 12" x 12" x 12" high if it has a top. That doesn't mean they won't lay in smaller nests, I had some your size lay in a cat litter bucket with a top 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". It worked fine for laying eggs but it was too small for a broody hen to hatch chicks in. The reason we go with a minimum of 12" x 12" is that people like you need guidelines and this size works for practically anybody in any situation. Mine are 16" cubes because that worked with my stud spacing.

You want the nest to stay dry and them to not poop in it if they can roost over it. Those are the reasons you might want a top. There is no real set standard as to what a nest should look like. Some people put a sloped top on the nests to keep chickens from roosting up there. My tops are flat, I'm OK with mine sleeping up there if they want to. That comes in handy to keep juveniles form sleeping in the nests when I'm integrating.

For fun I'll include these links to show what some people on here have used for nests.

Nest boxes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41108/show-us-your-nest-boxes-ingenous-design-post-it-here/220

Nest Boxes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-your-creative-nesting-boxes/80#post_12395882

For five hens I'd have two nests. They may all use just one but with two nests you are covered if you have one that doesn't. And you are OK if you have a broody hen or some other issues.

well, got oyster shell AND a small bag of layer pellets today. I will probably put a dishpan and/or cardboard box in there, with some pine shavings and some golf balls.
I need to do some major work to the coop, but life has been rough.

well, it was utter fail: The girls scratch all the hay out of the box and kicked the balls around.
Back to the drawing board.

The first winter with my girls...
I realize I need to adjust my ideas about animal husbandry.
I feel bad leaving them outside when my fur pets are huddling around me overnight. I had to bring a bowl of water this morning though, as the waterer was frozen. And I threw them some stale (unsweetened) cereal this morning....upping the carbs a bit for quick energy turnover. I think it will be above freezing this afternoon though.

well, it was utter fail: The girls scratch all the hay out of the box and kicked the balls around.
Back to the drawing board.

Photos?

POL pullets ALWAYS seem to scratch the nesting material out. I'm sure I'm going to find a bunch of golf balls in my garden when I use the compost in a couple years due to them getting buried after being kicked out.

Back
Top Bottom