The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

@Blooie
 just the person I need to talk to!

With all your hunting expertise, I have a deer steak question. A friend gave us a few packages and I thought I'd try cooking up some beef stroganoff with it for dinner tonight. See any reason why deer steak wouldn't work for that? 

None whatsoever, Debby. Everyone seems to make stroganoff a little differently so recipes vary, but as a rule you'll need to use a little more fat when you brown the deer meat because it's naturally so lean. I usually cook onions until they're kinda soft but not mushy. While they're cooking I toss the venison strips in salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and a tiny dash of paprika, then brown it with the onions. The paprika and garlic powder cut a little of the gaminess out so the deer. After that just follow your usual beef recipe.

None whatsoever, Debby. Everyone seems to make stroganoff a little differently so recipes vary, but as a rule you'll need to use a little more fat when you brown the deer meat because it's naturally so lean. I usually cook onions until they're kinda soft but not mushy. While they're cooking I toss the venison strips in salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and a tiny dash of paprika, then brown it with the onions. The paprika and garlic powder cut a little of the gaminess out so the deer. After that just follow your usual beef recipe.

That pretty much sounds like my recipe anyway B...thank you ma'am!

depends on how long it was aged......and what part of the deer it came from..........

I'd suggest marinating for at least 24 hours........oh and beat the fire out of it with a meat tenderizer, first.......

Quite right. With your venison, I'd slice it thinly and add for the 2 mins of cooking - just my thoughts.

Both good suggestions, thank you!

I'll let you know how it turns out. Hmm, now what bottle of wine to go with dinner...oh well, doesn't matter, anything will be good.

Yep, I forgot to mention the shorter cooking time and with venison that's a heck of a thing to forget!
But my favorite way is still the same recipe I posted in the chicken cooking contest.....love venison done that way! I originally came up with that when I was looking for something a little different but use it with chicken too.

Maybe you guys should all just come on over and we can have a cooking party, that would be helpful
big_smile.png

But my favorite way is still the same recipe I posted in the chicken cooking contest.....love venison done that way! I originally came up with that when I was looking for something a little different but use it with chicken too.

What, no link, no repeating the recipe here? You're going to make me go look for it?

You know how lazy I am.

Sheesh, work work work all the live long day.

Back
Top Bottom