The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Flock Master

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Blooie...p.s. Only one grandson...Claire is my granddaughter
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a doll she is, Phil!!

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This little town of 600 + that I live in collects as much as $3500 in donations for Christmas. Then the Council has a special meeting to distribute, based on personal knowledge of a family's situation, information from the churches and schools. Usually the family gets the cash and a complete Christmas dinner box. We don't distribute toys, but each family gets plenty of cash and grocery store gift certificates to have a wonderful Christmas. In some cases if the family is behind on their water/sewer/trash bill, we also pay that for them. So the town is very generous.

Two years ago we were all saving like crazy to get Kendra a gait trainer, which is a special kind of walker for kids with her unique issues. The kids' insurance would not pay for one because they figured they'd already provided "mobility" for her by covering the wheelchair so our family started a "Kendra Kitty" to get enough saved up. One of my fellow council members lives two houses down and Kendra has him wrapped around her little finger. So when the kids' names came up for distribution, I recused myself and went outside while they voted. It wasn't necessary, but I didn't feel right being on the council that was choosing how to help them. Well, this wonderful little town BOUGHT Kendra's gait trainer. Yep. Small towns are the best!

4. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Duh! I knew that! So sorry Phil - I blame it on inhaling too many pie fumes. Forgive me....she is absolutely adorable!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blooie, what a great place to live.

6. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Blooie this is pretty much the whole town of Little Lake.I don't think there is more than a couple hundred people. But when there is a benefit at the American Legion (one of the only other non household buildings) , the place is packed.....cars lined up down the road....so yeah something special about little towns.

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    When we first moved here I tried so hard to hate it. Ken bought this place from his family without talking to me first, and we had recently retired from the Navy. For the first time in 26 years, I was living close to my siblings, my two daughters and their kids, and my son and his new bride. I figured if I whined about it enough he'd cave and take me "home" to live.

Well, that didn't happen. Now my son and his wife live across the street with Kendra and Katie, my one daughter lives 2 blocks down with our grandson Evan, and we raised my other daughter's two kids right here in this beat up little trailer. You couldn't blast me out of Cowley. I've served on the Planning and Zoning commission and served four years on the town council. And you couldn't blast me out of Cowely! [​IMG]

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    That's small, Phil! And it looks so homey!! This is all of Cowley's main street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Looks like a nice place Blooie.
    Me and Chris moved here in 1983 I was in the Air Force....we were straight from the city.
    When I got light w moved back to Detroit....lasted three months...the day my oldest was supposed to start kindergarten we moved back. Never leaving now. My inner city wife says so.

10. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Happy Christmas Eve & Good Morning too!

Blooie, Phil...I always enjoy reading the stories and seeing the pictures of your small towns. Some day I hope to find my small town. You guys are right, something special about them and the people that live in them.

Phil, love your granddaughter's expression in that photo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by