The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Yeah I need to make something so I can use that new kitchaid.... ;)

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Go take a look at the home baker's thread, on page 1 is an index of the recipes in the thread (Sumi is in the process of sorting them out by category). There are a lot of things you could use that new KA on!

3. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Ducks are real easy to raise, just messy, I suggest a child's pool for brooding, and a heat lamp so they don't get electrocuted by a heat pad, though maybe some have used them with ducks, messy, messy, messy.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    As big an advocate of using heating pad caves for chicks, I don't think I'd use it on ducklings either....I dunno, some maybe have, but I just can't see it.

Busy day today. We were a little late, but Christmas decorations and the tree are packed up and in storage for the year. Normally we have that done on Christmas Day. I have a size 10 Christmas in a size 2 house, and of course everything means something to us so it all has to be displayed. I'm glad that's done, but I already miss some of it! Go figger!

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have 2 of the kiddy pools, they would probably work to start with. We already have a heat lamp from brooding the chickens. I know they're messy (the ducks) but there is just something about their faces that I love, they always look happy. And hopefully they'll eat a ton of bugs from the yard and garden. And eventually I'll be able to taste my first duck egg.

I need to sketch out what we have in place so far for plans, get some expert advice and tips. Good project for tomorrow.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    How early do you set stuff up for Christmas Blooie?

We seem to make the setting up a multi-day process, mostly because we can never remember where everything is and all that hunting takes time. I think it's all up about a week before Christmas then we take it down New Year's Day.

I like how putting all that away instantly makes the house feel bigger (for about an hour).

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Have you decided on something Phil? You'll be going to see baby Alice before long, might be nice to have something homemade to snack on for the trip.

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Several members have mentioned that they are good for baking, guess we'll find out!

There's a little local store owned by some brothers from India that I went to today. I was talking to one of them and he was so impressed we had REAL eggs, not like the ones at the grocery store (his words). When I told him I was getting ducks, he got really excited. He already wants to see pictures of the ducklings when they get here in April. We don't have the ducks yet, certainly no eggs yet but I think I already have my first duck egg customer, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by