The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    No mistaking when ours rolls around! We got married on Leap Year Day. Funny, we didn't even realize it at first. Ken was in Viet Nam and was supposed to get leave in July, which is when we planned to get married. But he unexpectedly got leave in February - came home on on the 13th. So we had just a few days to put an entire wedding together. Ma, Dad, Ken and I were sitting with the calendar in front of us quibbling over the best date. Finally Ken handed me the pencil, told me to close my eyes and poke....I did, and the pencil landed on Feb 29th.

So we dived into wedding preparations head first! Then, at the wedding, when Ma and my favorite aunt were helping me get dressed, Aunt Florabell (Yes, that was her real name! Florabelle Hazel) said, "Npw you're going to be like me - one celebration every 4 years!" Her birthday was that day! But we have fun with it. I tell him he has two opportunities to remember our anniversary for 3 years....either the 28th or March 1st were "acceptable". Then on Leap Year Day we renew our contract! So funny!

However, Social Security doesn't like it one bit! When I tried to do the on-line application, I could get just far in the process and then it was rejected every time. I finally had to call, set up an appointment, and then go down there with all kinds of paperwork in hand! Between being adopted as a married adult and the anniversary date, the lady there had a little trouble too! I got my first SS card when I was 16 - all you had to do then was walk into the office, tell them you wanted one, and you left the office with it in hand. Well, my whole life I'd been using my step-dad's last name. My school records, medical records, and SS card all used his last name. I didn't find out until I was 17, when Ken and I had to go get a copy of my birth certificate to get married, that my last name was legally my deceased dad's last name. Uh oh. When you're adopted, no matter what age you are, you get a new birth certificate showing your adoptive parent's name. So a non-existent person got a SS card. A non-existent person had an "altered" birth certificate. My SS card was changed to my married name, and I thought that was the end of it. Nope.

About 10 years ago we suddenly got a dunning notice from the IRS. They demanded every dime of every refund we'd ever received based on him taking me as a deduction. Seemed he was claiming someone who didn't exist. SS records didn't match what the IRS had. So we sent them copies of the adoption papers, both birth certificates, our marriage license - all that and they still weren't satisfied. This went on for about 3 months. Then they garnished his retirement pay! We went to a CPA to try to get it fixed. He was shocked that, unlike most people, we didn't just save our copies of our tax returns for 7 years...we had them from the very first year Ken started his first ever job! Good thing, because they also tried to claim that we owed them money for not filing the year we were married. The CPA couldn't even get it rectified even in the 4 months he worked on it. In the meantime they were still taking part of his retirement pay. So we called Senator Mike Enzi. HE got it fixed in short order. The IRS sent us a check for all the money they'd garnished.....and then at tax time sent us a form that required us to list that money on our taxes. We had to pay on the money they'd taken from us in the first place. Grrrrr To make things worse, I almost didn't get a passport because of all of that baggage! It was the only time I was glad that Dad wasn't alive. He'd have felt terrible if he knew that something he did out of pure love, adopting Linda and me, had caused so much trouble.

<Sigh> I wish someone could explain to me why I digress so much in my own posts! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

X-2 from me, DD said it short and sweet.
    Thanks DD for letting me borrow your post [​IMG]
    Scott

3. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thank you Scott, short & sweet works just fine [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Blooie what an ordeal with the IRS! Any government body is a mess to deal with but those people scare me. Glad you had a friend in high places to help you out!

5. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Flock Master

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Hi Blooie :frow

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Hi Phil! [​IMG]

7. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Flock Master

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    How's your weather over that way?

8. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

Blooie, Did you set out to have a interesting life? Or do you just have stuff happen that way?
    Scott

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Who knows, Scott? It was just the hand I was dealt and I love the challenge of the game!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    So...anyone want a BYC 2016 calendar? I happen to have an extra.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by