The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I need a white chicken!! May be after we have moved
wink.png

Yep DMC Dusty is the one who ? fell of the perch ? winded herself and who I thought we were going to lose; she has been a picture of health since.

Beautiful!! :love

Sure glad your girl lived... I have not lost any of mine yet other then one that had a terrible prolapse. I count 22 birds every night...my men are trained to do that also. I had a hawk attack once but was able to stop it as I was walking down to the coop at the right time...scary!

Pretty girls!! A friend offered me some of the Cochins last week but I said no. They are still laying but sporadically. I didn't know what they looked like as I've never seen them in person. I want to get a few new babies in the spring.
They are the best bantam breed in my opinion. Gentle and cute.

Are they pretty cold hardy?
Mine are in an insulated pen in the back of our barn. We get pretty cold here in Wisconsin, down to -20's with -40 wind chills occasionally through the winter. They stay inside more than the large breed flock in winter but they get along just fine staying in. No heat and no special treatment, except some warm mash and oatmeal on cold nights.

They also do all my hatching for me. If I could only keep one breed it would be bantam cochins. They come in every color, and come in both smooth and frizzle.

Back
Top Bottom