The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

43 years ago today my life changed forever!  After having two sweet little girls, I had a son!  Boy, there were a lot more differences than just indoor vs outdoor plumbing! Suddenly I had frogs in my toilet bowl.  I had multiple trips to the Emergency room....who knew bikes couldn't really fly?  I had sinks overflowing because he forgot to turn off the water.  I had dirty hands and a dirty face to wash because he suddenly couldn't remember how to turn that water back on.  And I had to play "dad" when his was gone all of the time.  I learned to coach T-ball.  I figured out how to give that boy what-for while choking back the laughter that threatened to burst out at the worst moments!  As he got older the scrapes got a little more serious.  But we got through it all.  I stood by his side when he brought our sweet Jenny into the family, and I cried happy tears when he introduced us to baby Katie.  I kept his place warm for him when he couldn't be with Jenny and see his new baby Kendra come into the world.  I've been furious with him, proud of him, and laughed with him all these years.  Happy birthday, Kenny!  You keep things interesting!! 
:thumbsup:

43 years ago today my life changed forever!  After having two sweet little girls, I had a son!  Boy, there were a lot more differences than just indoor vs outdoor plumbing! Suddenly I had frogs in my toilet bowl.  I had multiple trips to the Emergency room....who knew bikes couldn't really fly?  I had sinks overflowing because he forgot to turn off the water.  I had dirty hands and a dirty face to wash because he suddenly couldn't remember how to turn that water back on.  And I had to play "dad" when his was gone all of the time.  I learned to coach T-ball.  I figured out how to give that boy what-for while choking back the laughter that threatened to burst out at the worst moments!  As he got older the scrapes got a little more serious.  But we got through it all.  I stood by his side when he brought our sweet Jenny into the family, and I cried happy tears when he introduced us to baby Katie.  I kept his place warm for him when he couldn't be with Jenny and see his new baby Kendra come into the world.  I've been furious with him, proud of him, and laughed with him all these years.  Happy birthday, Kenny!  You keep things interesting!! 
Happy Birthday Kenny.

Happy Birthday Kenny!

I know you're a great guy because your mom @Blooie is a wonderful person. You've probably had enough cake by today, so I sent out for one of these:

Enjoy! And best wishes for many more!!!

We went to the Shitake mushroom festival yesterday. There were about 6 booths there and a guy playing the guitar...sort of a small deal as far as festivals go but seeing a couple of the ways to grow mushrooms was interesting.

It all looked pretty easy to do the Shitakes (drill an oak log with holes to plug the mushroom thingy into and lean them against a tree). I was ready to get on with it until DH decided before we could begin, he'd first have to:
1. build a rack to lean the logs against
2. run irrigation to water them
3. build some sort of lean-to as protection

Sheesh, that's how our projects go. Start easy then get complicated (complicated = expensive & time consuming).

I figure we'll be ready to grow mushrooms sometime in the year 2018.
roll.png

@Blooie Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!

@NorthFLChick Sorry the project can't get started, but you left out #4 - fence out the fowl.
wink.png

But at least you won't have to worry about your newbies getting Shiitake Dermatitis.

@Blooie Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!

@NorthFLChick Sorry the project can't get started, but you left out #4 - fence out the fowl.
wink.png

But at least you won't have to worry about your newbies getting Shiitake Dermatitis.
gig.gif
How silly of me to forget!

Ooh, Kenny would be all over that pizza! Should bring it over to Jenny's this afternoon when we celebrate birthdays! Yep, plural - today is Ken's birthday. Then we are DONE with birthdays around here until fall and winter 2016/17 rolls around...well, done with local birthdays, anyway.

We went to the Shitake mushroom festival yesterday. There were about 6 booths there and a guy playing the guitar...sort of a small deal as far as festivals go but seeing a couple of the ways to grow mushrooms was interesting.

It all looked pretty easy to do the Shitakes (drill an oak log with holes to plug the mushroom thingy into and lean them against a tree). I was ready to get on with it until DH decided before we could begin, he'd first have to:
1. build a rack to lean the logs against
2. run irrigation to water them
3. build some sort of lean-to as protection

Sheesh, that's how our projects go. Start easy then get complicated (complicated = expensive & time consuming).

I figure we'll be ready to grow mushrooms sometime in the year 2018.
roll.png
I encourage you to encourage him to start small.
make sure they do not get too hot or to dry out.
There are people in Florida who are doing well with them, but everyone I know that has tried them they either grew fungus gnats or termites.
Some people are in the right place and can do it.
You all might be exactly in the right clime, and will do fabulous with them.
But don't mortgage the house yet.

I don't want to be a downer or to nip anyone's enthusiasm in the bud, but they are not as easy here as everyone wants you to believe.
There is a place in Apopka that is a wholesale grower of mushrooms, maybe he can look them up and get tour of their facilities sometime when he is down there.

He can get kits from...thinkthink... pinetree garden seed.
I think that is where Jane got hers, she lives in the same type of ecosystem that you all do, and she had good success with the plugs in fresh oak logs.
They turned the garden sprinkler to hit them once a day- in the shade- and she was handing them out to everyone.
You might be in the perfect spot.

Back
Top Bottom