The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Your new bunnies are so, so cute as is the new drake.  Bet ya he figures things out quite quickly:D

Congrats on your newbies - they are so cute, my guess is less than a week old.  The cats do look too interested :oops:

DH did confirm the expected shipment, I hope to have my own newbies April 28th ...they are scheduled to arrive that day and OMG I am off too..:jumpy .  If luck is on my side, I'll have 4 or who knows how many new chicks in my brooder.
Thank you. I have found a new love in my life. I'm excited to hear your new chicks are getting closer, spring is so exciting.

Loved seeing those bunnies, a new handsome drake (I'd love some ducks), and those gorgeous baby chicks!!! sunflour - hope those babies come in on the 28th for you.

Teila, sorry that you'll have to wait a bit longer to be reunited with your hubby. At least you have lots to keep you busy and hopefully the time will fly by.

Blooie, I haven't seen a photo of your Minnow - would love to see more photos your little cuties.

Well my epic tale of woe continues!!! I checked on those Java babies this morning. One was AWOL, one was dead, so I took the nest down and brought the rest inside. I thought the dead one had been squished and set about looking after the live babies and trying to get some food into them. Valentine and Luvy really are worth their weight in gold (and then some)! It was them that got these babies eating and begging (well, all except one which is very pale and I'm not sure will make it). And they sat on the babies for awhile too. Of course I got photos because it was so darn cute!

Later, when I got a chance, I cleaned out the nest to find that the dead baby had no feet and there was blood in the nest. I realised that these babies still alive have nipped off toes, and one is missing a wing tip. I have no idea what went on but my suspicions lie with the father of these babies. I feel awful and I have no idea what disabilities these babies will grow up with, if they survive. I now know why one is so pale - it looks to have the least toes so would've lost a lot of blood for something so tiny.

Anyway, it's almost time to feed them again. My poor chickens barely see me for more than the brief second it takes to throw some food at them. I feel like all I've done today is feed little finch babies, mostly because that is all I've done. Thankfully I've got Piper down to a feed every 2 hours, but these babies will need hourly feeds for awhile yet. And despite having a head cold I'd better get up early to feed them.

Teila - your hibernating idea sounds like heaven to me!!!

Loved seeing those bunnies, a new handsome drake (I'd love some ducks), and those gorgeous baby chicks!!! sunflour - hope those babies come in on the 28th for you. Teila, sorry that you'll have to wait a bit longer to be reunited with your hubby. At least you have lots to keep you busy and hopefully the time will fly by. Blooie, I haven't seen a photo of your Minnow - would love to see more photos your little cuties. Well my epic tale of woe continues!!! I checked on those Java babies this morning. One was AWOL, one was dead, so I took the nest down and brought the rest inside. I thought the dead one had been squished and set about looking after the live babies and trying to get some food into them. Valentine and Luvy really are worth their weight in gold (and then some)! It was them that got these babies eating and begging (well, all except one which is very pale and I'm not sure will make it). And they sat on the babies for awhile too. Of course I got photos because it was so darn cute! Later, when I got a chance, I cleaned out the nest to find that the dead baby had no feet and there was blood in the nest. I realised that these babies still alive have nipped off toes, and one is missing a wing tip. I have no idea what went on but my suspicions lie with the father of these babies. I feel awful and I have no idea what disabilities these babies will grow up with, if they survive. I now know why one is so pale - it looks to have the least toes so would've lost a lot of blood for something so tiny. Anyway, it's almost time to feed them again. My poor chickens barely see me for more than the brief second it takes to throw some food at them. I feel like all I've done today is feed little finch babies, mostly because that is all I've done. Thankfully I've got Piper down to a feed every 2 hours, but these babies will need hourly feeds for awhile yet. And despite having a head cold I'd better get up early to feed them. Teila - your hibernating idea sounds like heaven to me!!!
Thank you, I'm really enjoying my new critters. I'm so sorry about you little chicks. I used to have a few finches and let them breed a few times. It was always stressful until they got older. I have had chicks tossed out of the nest. I haven't had any attacked like that, so that's rough to deal with. Society finches are great fosters. You certainly have your hands full.

Oh, Jae...that really stinks!! But if anyone can get them going and going well, it's you!

Here's my Minnow....

He blinked!
lau.gif

Loved seeing those bunnies, a new handsome drake (I'd love some ducks), and those gorgeous baby chicks!!! sunflour - hope those babies come in on the 28th for you. Teila, sorry that you'll have to wait a bit longer to be reunited with your hubby. At least you have lots to keep you busy and hopefully the time will fly by. Blooie, I haven't seen a photo of your Minnow - would love to see more photos your little cuties. Well my epic tale of woe continues!!! I checked on those Java babies this morning. One was AWOL, one was dead, so I took the nest down and brought the rest inside. I thought the dead one had been squished and set about looking after the live babies and trying to get some food into them. Valentine and Luvy really are worth their weight in gold (and then some)! It was them that got these babies eating and begging (well, all except one which is very pale and I'm not sure will make it). And they sat on the babies for awhile too. Of course I got photos because it was so darn cute! Later, when I got a chance, I cleaned out the nest to find that the dead baby had no feet and there was blood in the nest. I realised that these babies still alive have nipped off toes, and one is missing a wing tip. I have no idea what went on but my suspicions lie with the father of these babies. I feel awful and I have no idea what disabilities these babies will grow up with, if they survive. I now know why one is so pale - it looks to have the least toes so would've lost a lot of blood for something so tiny. Anyway, it's almost time to feed them again. My poor chickens barely see me for more than the brief second it takes to throw some food at them. I feel like all I've done today is feed little finch babies, mostly because that is all I've done. Thankfully I've got Piper down to a feed every 2 hours, but these babies will need hourly feeds for awhile yet. And despite having a head cold I'd better get up early to feed them. Teila - your hibernating idea sounds like heaven to me!!!
Poor little guys
1f622.png

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Sorry Dawn I know nothing about incubators only having had hatches under a broody hen.

Tee hee J I quote “I’d love some ducks” .. glutton for punishment comes to mind lol
lau.gif

The photos of Valentine, Luvy and the babies are cute! I too am sorry to hear of their injuries and do hope that all are OK.

Blooie Minnow is sooo cute! Are you sure he blinked or was he practicing his stink eye?
wink.png

I got nuff’n! Packed a few more things I will not use between now and the move; the box pile is growing. Ordered some more boxes on line which arrived yesterday.

Hi everyone
frow.gif

The trip to Laramie and the doc appointment wore me out yesterday, I spent the night at my cousin's house (so handy having a fun family member in town with a sofa always available). We ended up having dinner out and a margarita (thought of you Blooie!). That was enough "night out on the town" for me, I'm still tired, lol.

DMC, the new chicks are so cute! You got a nice variety.

OHLD, those bunnies are adorable...they look like something that would go on an Easter greeting card! Your drake will be adored by all the girls, he's very handsome.

Blooie, your Minnow is a natural photo model. I expect to see lots more pictures!

Teila, sounds like it will take some tactical planning to get all in synch for the move but it will happen. Things just don't always go as quickly as we would like (at least for me, I'm not known for my patience
cool.png
).

J, so sorry to hear of the finch woes. Hope things turn around and get easier. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Sunflour, you asked which of my chicks were testing their flying wings. That would be the Legbars, they seem quite a bit more "busy" than the Welsummers or the Sapphire. Oh, and I just noticed, at least 1 of the Legbars is getting a teeny tiny feather crest which makes me very happy! Bob, the member I got them from, doesn't like that feature on his birds and has been trying to breed it out of them but to me, it just makes them all that more attractive. All of them are starting to get their slightly larger/non-baby feathers.

Time to catch up with things here at home. Hope everyone has a good afternoon!

Hi everyone
frow.gif

The trip to Laramie and the doc appointment wore me out yesterday, I spent the night at my cousin's house (so handy having a fun family member in town with a sofa always available). We ended up having dinner out and a margarita (thought of you Blooie!). That was enough "night out on the town" for me, I'm still tired, lol.

DMC, the new chicks are so cute! You got a nice variety.

OHLD, those bunnies are adorable...they look like something that would go on an Easter greeting card! Your drake will be adored by all the girls, he's very handsome.

Blooie, your Minnow is a natural photo model. I expect to see lots more pictures!

Teila, sounds like it will take some tactical planning to get all in synch for the move but it will happen. Things just don't always go as quickly as we would like (at least for me, I'm not known for my patience
cool.png
).

J, so sorry to hear of the finch woes. Hope things turn around and get easier. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Sunflour, you asked which of my chicks were testing their flying wings. That would be the Legbars, they seem quite a bit more "busy" than the Welsummers or the Sapphire. Oh, and I just noticed, at least 1 of the Legbars is getting a teeny tiny feather crest which makes me very happy! Bob, the member I got them from, doesn't like that feature on his birds and has been trying to breed it out of them but to me, it just makes them all that more attractive. All of them are starting to get their slightly larger/non-baby feathers.

Time to catch up with things here at home. Hope everyone has a good afternoon!

Hope the night at your cousins was restful, you deserve it.

I was hoping it wasn't the Welsummers - I am really thinking about getting 4 of those gals so they have a chance of outnumbering the 2 old hens
big_smile.png

JaeG,

So sorry about the finch loss. I know you love them all.

Back
Top Bottom