The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

we will be brooding in the house, so that is really my only concern, is how much sleep will be lost.

if it's not too bad, I may jump right in to getting some duck eggs. I'd like to build them an area close to our garden, and have them patrol it for bugs. wonder if I can train them to run the rabbits off?

we will be brooding in the house, so that is really my only concern, is how much sleep will be lost.

if it's not too bad, I may jump right in to getting some duck eggs. I'd like to build them an area close to our garden, and have them patrol it for bugs. wonder if I can train them to run the rabbits off?

I brooded both sets of chicks I've raised in the house and don't remember losing any sleep over it (other then me wanting to watch them 24/7, lol). I loved having them in the house because they're just so much fun to see, it was like kids leaving home when it was time to put them out in the coop.

Your kids should have a ball with them!

Oh and for ducks running off rabbits?

HA!
lol.png

Yep!

We're going out this weekend to pick up some more materials for their greenhouse space. Can't remember if I said what our plans are for their living quarters. We have a 30' x 14' greenhouse that no longer has covering on the roof or sides so we're going to put fencing up along the sides, have people door on both ends, cover the top and then build a house for them inside of that using the solar auto-door I won in the contest. They'll have 2 kiddy pools, food and drinking water inside the greenhouse. Once they get big, they get the run of the garden and a big portion of the yard (our property is fenced all around). I'm thinking by mid-April we'll be warm enough I can brood them in the greenhouse too, we'll see how that plays out with the weather.

I haven't had any new birds since April 2014 and never had ducks so the excitement is building!

I thought it was the 11th, my birthday :D
Oh that's sounds wonderful :highfive:
Using something you already have really helps too. That's a real plus if you can brood there too, fingers crossed on the weather for you :fl
I love brooding in the house but it does get dusty with them :/ I can also imagine ducklings are quite messy!!

if it's not too bad, I may jump right in to getting some duck eggs.  I'd like to build them an area close to our garden, and have them patrol it for bugs.  wonder if I can train them to run the rabbits off?

No sleep lost here either with them in the house :D

OOO, maybe I'll have to name one of them after you in honor of your b-day!

Everyone says the same thing about ducks...they're cute but very messy. And the grow every time you turn around. And I'll have 10 of them. Yeah, I'm hoping to brood them outside.

I brooded both sets of chicks I've raised in the house and don't remember losing any sleep over it (other then me wanting to watch them 24/7, lol). I loved having them in the house because they're just so much fun to see, it was like kids leaving home when it was time to put them out in the coop.

Your kids should have a ball with them!
I know they will. I think the main problem will be the 2 year old playing with them too much. She's a regular in the big coop, catching and picking up our pullets that are about 3 month old.

Oh and for ducks running off rabbits?

HA!
lol.png

yeah, dang wild rabbits, come out and routinely eat new growth on the green beans!! they are sneaky, and only do it at night, when I'm sleeping.
No sleep lost here either with them in the house
big_smile.png
thanks.

Maybe
wink.png
A cute little duckling named after me!
big_smile.png

Oh 10 that's really going for it
th.gif

Are they sexed when you get them?

So if it's ok with you, I'll name one of them Kim! I like that
smile.png

9 out of 10 will be sexed (female). The 10th, a Welsh Harlequin, will be an unknown. I figure if I end up with just 1 male (or get lucky and have a 10th female) it should work out fine.

yeah, dang wild rabbits, come out and routinely eat new growth on the green beans!! they are sneaky, and only do it at night, when I'm sleeping.

Wild rabbits are what kept taking our peas last year. After planting them for the 4th time just to see them mowed down to stubs, I gave up.

The ducks won't be much help keeping the rabbits out because at night, they'll be in their house. And that's when the rabbits come out, as you know!

Back
Top Bottom