The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning!

Are any of you getting much of that ugly big storm? We've been cold, windy and damp but when I look at the pictures of some places, we're ok.

Blooie, have a safe trip to Cody. It would be nice to see a picture of the quilt you're working on at some point. Does Katie still do some quilting too? I remember a photo you shared of her first one.

OHLD, The Pacific was a great series. We've watched it a couple of times.

Yesterday we watched "It Could Happen to You" with Nick Cage and Bridget Fonda. I had forgotten how funny Rosie Perez was in that (but DH kept saying her voice was hurting his ears, lol).

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Good Morning, 25 here now and supposed to be sunny, dry, less windy.

Hope everyone in the storm areas are safe and have heat.

Don't remember the movies y'all have been discussing, but often will watch an oldie thinking I haven't seen it, and near the end remember the rest of the movie..[​IMG]. But starting a list of "Must See" from these posts.

3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @sunflour ! Your weather sounds like ours today. It was 33* when I was up at 3:30 and now it's 29* but it should warm up and thankfully, no wind. The chickens might actually feel brave enough to go outside today!

Since we don't have cable for the tv, we watch a movie almost every day from our huge (and ever-growing) DVD collection. A lot of times we can find them for $1-$3 each so it's pretty cheap entertainment and no commercials (yay). What kind of movies do you like?

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    We couldn't let our flock out yesterday - winds were gusting to 35 mph, and left coop cleaning for today - sifting sand in wind is not a lot of fun.

We have Dish, but rarely find any newer movies of interest. I love many types of movies - but the older ones are so much better than what is being produced these days with rare exceptions. I love the older romantic comedies, good science fiction, suspense ( but not scary), and sweet stories about families. We do the Amazon streaming - I loved "Nebraska" with Bruce Dern - a very different view of aging and early dementia - not a knee slapping comedy, but some really priceless scenes.

[​IMG] After submitting realized if I added: also love long walks on the beach, etc.....would sound like a post to a dating service.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh, you saw "Nebraska"??? We got that recently and have already watched it twice! Great movie, Bruce Dern was so good (as were the other actors). In addition to the early dementia topic, there was the greed factor involved too. Stacy Keach was such a creep! That is a good one.

For a good suspense movie based on actual history, one of my favorites is "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise. I'm not a huge fan of his but that story was just so gripping. Here's a recap:
    "By 1944, many senior German officers knew they would lose the war and that honorable surrender was the only way out. To do so however, they will have to eliminate their greatest obstacle - Adolf Hitler. There had been several attempts on Hitler's life but all had failed. The leaders of the conspiracy recruit the aristocratic Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, who had lost his left eye and right hand in action in North Africa, to lead their latest operation. The plan has Stauffenberg placing a bomb in the Fuhrer's bunker, the Wolf's Lair, and then returning to Berlin to take charge of the operation, which will include rounding up the SS and Josef Goebbels. When Hitler survives the blast, it all begins to fall apart."
    If you do see it, be sure to watch the special features where family members of the conspiracists are interviewed and see the annual remembrance still being held today for those brave men.

Another one of my favorites is "Waking Ned Devine" made in Ireland several years ago. I had to go to Amazon to get a copy of that one, couldn't find it in the stores. Well worth the cost and time to watch (repeatedly).

Guess we could spend all day just on movies but those 3 are very good. I'll keep an eye out for others I think you might like.

P.S. As for the long walks on the beach, well, that's a whole nother topic [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Debby, this is one of the quilts I'm currently working on. I much prefer hand work to machine, and this one, with all the accompanying sewing stuff, fits beautifully into it's new tote bag, ready to go anywhere with me so I have something to do while waiting in doctors' offices, in the car on trips, or like today while I wait for Ken during one of his meetings. To give you some size perspective, look at the size of the completed flower compared to the spool of thread. Each individual hexagon is 3/4 of an inch across. Each completed "flower" unit is 2 1/4 inches across.

This is an old technique known as "English Paper Piecing", which is very different than today's paper piecing. With this method, every hexagon has to be drawn on paper, cut out, and basted to the fabric hexagons. Then they are sewn together by whipstitching on the back. As soon as one flower is done, it is set aside. When I'm ready to begin assembling the quilt, I pull the basting threads out, releasing the paper. Out of the hundreds of quilts I've made, I can count on one hand the times I've actually made a quilt from the design in a book. This is one of those rare quilts, but I love the airy look of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blooie, how many years does it take to complete a quilt like that? I'm glad it fits in your new tote. If you get to embroider it, hope you will let me see how it comes out.

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I started this one about 3 years ago, but I only work on when I can take it someplace. I have another hexagon Grandma's Flower Garden that I started in 1976 and finished in 1999. We all called it the "When-I-Wanna" because the only time I worked on that one was when Ken was out at sea or on another deployment. I'd put it away after Ken retired and forgot about it for years! Ken found it in the bottom of a cardboard box! That one the kids argue over...they all want it when I'm no longer around. It's made entirely of scraps of the kids' clothes and such through the years. There are pieces of going-home-from-the-hospital outfits, a couple of my maternity tops (remember when maternity tops were loose fitting cotton smock type things? So comfortable and colorful!) crib sheets, school outfits, even a couple of pieces cut from Ken's uniform after he retired. I'd made dozens of quilts in the meantime, but that one was my sanity during those long cruises and that's when it was worked on.

I have another one that took years to make. It's real name is "I Remember Mama" but we all just call it "The Albatross." That one is being cremated with me, I swear!! It's an old technique called Broderie Perse, and it's my favorite out of every quilt I've ever made. It's won a few prizes and was in Fon's and Porter's magazine Sew Many Quilts before they changed the name of the magazine. It's done on black polished cotton, the backing is also black polished cotton, and the flowers are appliqued in place with buttonhole stitches so tiny and close that they literally touch each other all the way around so it looks like the design is floating on the background. I made it in memory of Ma and all the flowers she loved are in it. Every Mother's Day my sisters would go over to Ma's and put in her flower garden for the year and I used a lot of prints of those flowers. She was buried on Christmas Eve. A year or so after the quilt was finished I saw this fabric with doves and poinsettias on it and I knew I had to add them. You haven't lived until you've held a completely quilted and bound queen size quilt in one hand and sewn flowers and birds down with the other, being sure NOT go all the way through to the back. Brother! Talk about a hair shirt!! But that quilt has never been touched by a sewing machine....even the panels that make up the front and the back are hand seamed. Now it lives in a glass display case Ken bought for me.

1 person likes this.
  9. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    That will be beautiful!! I would love to make a quit like that.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wish we could see your mom's quilt - what a lovely thing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by