The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

But...but....but you sai-aid that you were gonna get those needlepoint pictures of your mom's do-o-one "someday"! Tomorrow is the Somedayth of January and I wanna see them!!

Are you whining? That sounds like whining. Doesn't that sound like whining to the rest of you?

Drat, I had to bring that up. Ok, ok, I'll get pictures of them and post (somedayth).
lol.png

Thank you, Nancy. I have to pick up some floss when we are in Cody this afternoon and then I hope to get started on my new tote! It was so nice of you to send that to me, and it will get used, believe me! Funny thing, I never have to be asked twice to show off a quilt or two. It's always fun to share them. Oh, I know...people have this thing about showing stuff they've made or done because they think it's "bragging". Well, so what? What's wrong with being proud of a unique skill the Good Lord gave you and showing what you've accomplished using it? To me "bragging" is: "Well I made x amount of dollars this year, how'd you do?" or "See my shiny new car I can afford but you can't?" or even, "I can beat you at that any day of the week". That's bragging at least the way my dad always defined it. But he also used to tell us, "He who doth not tooteth his own horn oft doth not getteth his horn tootethed!" So that said, I present "The Albatross"! [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] The Albatross the day the final (or what I thought would be final) stitches went in. This is what it looked like before I added the doves and poinsettias - and yes, I was once a young redhead! This is the photo that appeared in Fon's and Porter's magazine. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] These were taken after the doves and poinsettias, hanging in a quilt show after judging. I was so discouraged that day. I'd entered it in the "Hand Appliqued, Hand Quilted" category at the Quilting in the Tetons Show. The judge's critique read, "Visual Impact - Poor; Applique - Poor (this quilter needs more instruction in machine applique); Overall Hand Quilting - Excellent; Fabric selection - Good; Binding - Excellent" I spoke to her later to ask her about the "needing machine applique instruction" part and just could NOT convince her that I'd entered in the correct category for hand applique - that I hadn't machine appliqued it. Found out later during a chance meeting with Barbara Barber that this is not unusual at all when entering Broderie Perse in quilt shows.....she hears it all the time and she literally wrote a book on Broderie Perse. She sent me a copy of it after this show, and told me that mine was on an equal par with any of those in her book. So I felt better, but not much! [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] I'll let you judge the visual impact - I thought it was pretty good. Closeup of what the judge called "machine applique". Those flowers are hand sewn with silk thread. Closer you can see that each stitch follows the contours of the flowers I cut out, and touches the stitch next to it with no gaps. Oh, well. It's where it should be now, in it's display case in my own home. It won enough shows to counter the Quilting in the Tetons show so as far as I'm concerned, it's a winner.
Beautiful!

Thank you both kindly! Phil, don't go too far! It's cold out there...well, where you are anyway! Here, another nice day in the mountains of Northern Wyoming!

Um, this is January, right?

Something's not right when it's warmer in WY than it is in FL. It did finally warm up some here today...around 3pm. And the wind wasn't blowing Spanish moss throughout the air. And the chickens weren't afraid to come outside. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer...32* tonight and up to mid-60's tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom