The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

All that stuff sounds nice!!

But hmmm sounds like it's not worth going to Costco then lol
I don't buy a lot of things there and only go maybe once a month. It is about 20 miles but I go when I am down there anyway. But some things are just a lot cheaper. Like the Vitamin D that I take 3X a day. Of course you have to buy the "Costco size" * bottle but SO much cheaper/pill than the same thing at the grocery store.

And their generic Flonase (Aller-flo)? $23 (5 pack but I use it every day) - less than $5/bottle. Cheaper when on sale. It is the EXACT SAME thing as the name brand down to all the inactive ingredients. They sell the name brand stuff - $50/3 bottles. That is still better than the $22+/bottle at the grocery store. And better than the $48 Walgreens charges for 2 bottles. I'm pretty sure @ronott1 brought this one to my attention some time back.

* "Costco size" is one of the drawbacks of the store. Want some vegetable oil? Great buy the 3 quart bottle ... and the other 3 quart bottle that is connected to it. Want some Ben and Jerry's? They only sell quarts and only carry 2 flavors. Their meat prices are OK but the small family owned grocery I frequent has quality meat at the same price and you don't need to buy large packages (then freeze most of it).

Morning all!

All this "shop talk" makes me kind of glad there isn't much of any place around here to do that unless you want Walmart, a farm store or Dollar Tree. If I need something specific I get it online or wait until I can make a trip to my cousin's in Laramie (which is a 3 hour round trip from my house). When there aren't stores around, you can save a lot of money, lol.

Very true lol

I mean't the regular milk - those labels without hormones would be in trouble if they lie :) But they are more expensive?

The internet has already closed many businesses and taken jobs. And discount retail sales like Walmart have already cost us most of the independent shops.

I still prefer to support the independent businesses, but really have no love lost for the big chains :hmm

That is the "regular milk" if you will, I don't buy the organic one or anything (though my brother does). The organic one is more expensive. But yeah, the regular one doesn't have it. That said, maybe the store's brands have it. I will look next time I go to the store. Or maybe it is a New England thing? We buy Hood or Garelic Farms usually

I don't buy a lot of things there and only go maybe once a month. It is about 20 miles but I go when I am down there anyway. But some things are just a lot cheaper. Like the Vitamin D that I take 3X a day. Of course you have to buy the "Costco size" * bottle but SO much cheaper/pill than the same thing at the grocery store.

And their generic Flonase (Aller-flo)? $23 (5 pack but I use it every day) - less than $5/bottle. Cheaper when on sale. It is the EXACT SAME thing as the name brand down to all the inactive ingredients. They sell the name brand stuff - $50/3 bottles. That is still better than the $22+/bottle at the grocery store. And better than the $48 Walgreens charges for 2 bottles. I'm pretty sure @ronott1 brought this one to my attention some time back.

* "Costco size" is one of the drawbacks of the store. Want some vegetable oil? Great buy the 3 quart bottle ... and the other 3 quart bottle that is connected to it. Want some Ben and Jerry's? They only sell quarts and only carry 2 flavors. Their meat prices are OK but the small family owned grocery I frequent has quality meat at the same price and you don't need to buy large packages (then freeze most of it).

Yeah, that's what I don't like about BJ's. All the products are just so dang big, it's easy to buy too much. BUT. that's probably why it's cheap.

I never thought of buying vitamins there but that's a good idea. I'm going to look into that. I wonder if they have dog vitamins.

And speaking of meat, do you know where a good place to buy cheap hamburger is? Just the ground meat, not patties. Although those are fine if it's cheaper. I want to make satin balls* for the dog cause he's kind of skinny and it calls for 10 pounds of hamburger meat. I could cut it in half cause that is A LOT of meat and the recipe is probably for people who have multiple dogs or who breed dogs but still, I kind of want to try it exactly as is. And if we ever have a party or anything, it might be nice to know where to get the cheapest meat anyway.

* http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.html

That's the one I'm following but there's also this one. And I think they also have a few more on their page

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html

Yes, the generic flonaise is a fantastic deal!

Thanks for the reminder! I need to take out the last package of baby back ribs to cook today for dinner. The package from Costco had three ribs in it and with just three of us here now, we only eat one slab

Yeah, that's what I don't like about BJ's. All the products are just so dang big, it's easy to buy too much. BUT. that's probably why it's cheap.

I never thought of buying vitamins there but that's a good idea. I'm going to look into that. I wonder if they have dog vitamins.

And speaking of meat, do you know where a good place to buy cheap hamburger is? Just the ground meat, not patties. Although those are fine if it's cheaper. I want to make satin balls* for the dog cause he's kind of skinny and it calls for 10 pounds of hamburger meat. I could cut it in half cause that is A LOT of meat and the recipe is probably for people who have multiple dogs or who breed dogs but still, I kind of want to try it exactly as is. And if we ever have a party or anything, it might be nice to know where to get the cheapest meat anyway.

* http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.html

That's the one I'm following but there's also this one. And I think they also have a few more on their page

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html

Here are the other ones if anyone's interested aha

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs2.html

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs3.html

Remember that Costco is a "membership" place. You gotta pay a yearly fee to shop in the store. I first started when we were buying Cosamin DS at DW's RA doctor's suggestion. Two BIG bottles at Costco, on sale, more than covered the cost of the annual membership vs the small bottle at the grocery store.

Don't know if I could find one of those or would ever get a kitty that big past him tho :lau
Get one that big and the cat will go right past him as he cowers in the corner :p

Remember that Costco is a "membership" place. You gotta pay a yearly fee to shop in the store. I first started when we were buying Cosamin DS at DW's RA doctor's suggestion. Two BIG bottles at Costco, on sale, more than covered the cost of the annual membership vs the small bottle at the grocery store.

Get one that big and the cat will go right past him as he cowers in the corner :p

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot about that. I might ask if we could join but it probably wouldn't be worth it if we barely ever go there. We (or at least dad and brother) are already members at BJ'S. I think we have a membership thing from Groupon so I will join too. I wonder if they have a similar thing as Costco.

It kind of stinks it's membership though because what if you've never been there before and decide you hate it? You have to pay just to get in to check out the store? As opposed to a non membership place where you could be like this place sucks and never go there lol

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot about that. I might ask if we could join but it probably wouldn't be worth it if we barely ever go there. We (or at least dad and brother) are already members at BJ'S. I think we have a membership thing from Groupon so I will join too. I wonder if they have a similar thing as Costco.

It kind of stinks it's membership though because what if you've never been there before and decide you hate it? You have to pay just to get in to check out the store? As opposed to a non membership place where you could be like this place sucks and never go there lol
If you know someone that is a member, you can have them buy you a costco gift card. You can go into the store and use it as a non member

If you know someone that is a member, you can have them buy you a costco gift card. You can go into the store and use it as a non member

I don't know about Costco, but at Sam's Club (which is Walmart's membership store) they'll let you go in to look around and you don't have to buy a membership unless you want to buy something. That's the way it used to be anyway, haven't lived around one for quite a while.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that. That's good to know

Back
Top Bottom