The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I was a kid my best friend had a collie named Rex. Rex was our constant companion on all activities from biking and playing sports to hunting and fishing - he just tagged along. All summer long he would hang out by our sides or rest in the shade while we played. Pick up a gun in the autumn and he turned into a bird dog. Coursing in front of us and flushing birds and marking where they fell when we shot them. Put the guns away, and Rex would not even look at a pheasant - smart dog.

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well, my first dog was great at finding fire hydrants- so there!!

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    And what did he do with them? [​IMG]

5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Um, if you need an explanation, you're older than any of us thought! <ducking>

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ya know, there's a possibility that there is no one older than me on BYC. [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've never heard that but if goats act towards snakes the same way they do to peacocks, then I'd have to say that's an old wives tale. Those 2 girls jumped up on their bridge and froze until the intruder was chased out of their area.

@Blooie I don't remember hearing you'd had goats, loved the Cecil story!

1 person likes this.
  8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm not sure that I ever mentioned it before, but that was why Ken is always whining about wanting goats every time we pass some in a field. We didn't live in that place out there very long after retirement, maybe 2 years. I was deliriously happy there finally being close to my family after 26 years of wandering, but I knew he missed his mountains terribly. So when Ken's folks offered this place to us, he jumped on it - and somehow neglected to tell me that we had just bought an old trailer house near the Big Horn Mountains! I was NOT a happy wife. In fact, I promised myself that I was going to hate it and make him so miserable he'd end up selling and taking me back home. I tried to hate it, I really did. But, it'll be 20 years this June, and if something happened to him tomorrow (God forbid!) I'd stay right here. (And I might just get a couple more goats just to make him mad!)

1 person likes this.
  9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your goats are gorgeous, how have you kept it to only four, I have fourteen, at least I think that's the correct number.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by