The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I got a fine art's degree, with a studio emphasis. :D

Oh cool!! :)

@NickyKnack, are you working in the field ? I remember your theatrical activities from the past.

I love theater and stuff but haven't done much of it

Nope! Just an accredited one. :lol:

And I'll never starve because I have a job as a certified nurse. :)

Nice!

The craftsmanship in the woodwork in those old Victorians draws me in. Way nicer to look at than painted cheap finger jointed pine casing you find in most any house built now.

I think a lot of them weren't originally built on postage stamp lots but the lots were split and sold leaving a large attractive house sitting and looking stupid with no open space around it.

Agreed. I bet they were beautiful on big lots/farms.

One that has officially been diagnosed as crazy ;)

:lau

X3

One of my passions is wood working. I'm not that good at it, but when a piece is done and no one can see my mistakes it's a wonderful thing. I was really enamored by the 2000 year old structures in Japan that had no nails, loaded with craftsmanship and just beautiful works of art in a building. I studied under a Japanese Master Craftsman and it took me two years to successfully make a full blind mitered dove tail joint by hand. I did it once successfully and have the piece in my garage, but will never try again.

That's a cool hobby. :)

Totally agree! You should see the monster doors in this old house, I love them! There is a huge pocket door between the parlor and the hallway. I loved the house I grew up in. It was a big farmhouse with awesome woodwork. I hadn’t been back to see it in 31 years. My sister was home from North Carolina and wanted to see it so we hooked up with our oldest sister to go check it out...a relative had bought it. I wanted to cry when I saw the inside. It was turned into a hoarder house. The woodwork to my amazement was still beautiful but nothing was taken care of. The basement was so full of black mold it was a safety hazard to be in it. I wish I hadn’t gone and remembered it the way it was.

Aww so sorry!

You can't always go home. :hugsThe house that I grew up in has been so neglected and is in such disrepair that it should be bulldozed. The only house worse in my old home town is the one that my childhood best friend grew up in. Sad.

X2

And sorry about your house too :/

One of my last woodworking projects...
View attachment 1251142 View attachment 1251143 View attachment 1251144

I wish I could find a good pic of he bakers nook in the last pic. pie rings are inlaid in the white maple using black walnut. can you believe it... A non-foodie bought this house for the kitchen???:confused::confused::confused::confused::idunno:idunno:idunno:idunno:idunno

Nice!!

That's the house that I sold to non-foodies. ARG :he

Whyyyyy!?

I wish I could find a good pic of the bakers nook in the last pic. pie rings are inlaid in the white maple using black walnut.
I can see them when I "bigify" the picture.
A mitered blind dovetail? :thI can't imagine how many I would ruin trying to make that. And of course ONE doesn't have much function, takes 4 to make a box. For those who don't know what this is:
blind_dovetail_secret_mitre_dovetailing_joint.gif

That test was very easy, no studying needed when i took it. Good luck, it is hard nasty work.
I know, I've been doing it since I graduated high school. It got me through college and is my main job now. :idunno Its pays the bills and helps people at the same time. A win, win in my book. It's only heartache when I loose a beloved client and I lost two last year. Needless to say, it hit me pretty hard.

Back
Top Bottom